It's not worth it.... | Teen Ink

It's not worth it....

By DaisyH. BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
DaisyH. BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Be True. Be Strong.

It’s not worth it….

In my health class we started a new unit talking about alcohol. Now my health teacher said she’s excited for this unit, but what she really means is that she’s ready to teach us the effects of alcohol and the consequences that come with it. And making sure that me and my freshman classmates are aware what can happen when we take one or too many shots. Personally I know that alcohol isn’t good for you and it can get you sick like getting a hangover, but it’s much more than that. You may think that drinking is the best thing ever and it helps you to relax like what most people say when they smoke marijuana, but you don’t realize what it’s doing to your body in the inside. People start to drink when they're at a party, at a bar, while driving especially, or really when they just want to show off to there friends. It’s hard enough when people don’t really care and don’t want to listen to what you have to say, especially if they're your loved ones and they end up making the wrong decisions. Now I’m not saying that you should never drink and that drinking alcohol makes you a bad person; I just want you to be aware of the amount you drink. Alcohol has it’s short term and long term effects. Some short terms would be vomiting, headaches, unconsciousness, anemia,etc.. As for long terms it would include alcohol poisoning, liver disease, Ulcers, gastritis, etc.. Now you may say to yourself, “ What the heck is that?”or “I never heard of it”. Well you're not the only one; I said the same thing when my health teacher told us about these effects and I wanted to learn more about it, so when I got home I searched it up and let me tell you it’s not a pretty picture. Alcohol can cause physical and mental/emotional effects especially. Now for me I think that’s really bad because people tend to drink more when they are depressed or dealing with a problem and they think that drinking or doing drugs is the best solution. For an example I know people that have lost someone who’s been in a car accident because of a drunk driver. You can say that the drunk driver went to jail for killing someone and stayed there for a couple a months, but what they really did was cause a family pain and stress because that person wasn’t thinking. Overall if you're drinking for the first time or done it before just think and say yourself, “ Is it worth it?”.