The Strength of Men | Teen Ink

The Strength of Men

I little while ago, I wrote an article called The Strength of Women, this is the sequel. I am a female, and I identify with women more than I do with men. But I am not blind. Men are pretty cool too. Women are very vocal right now, about how they are feeling misused, and that is fantastic! I spoke out in my own way. But men aren't speaking up, that much. They are listening to us complain about our treatment, men, and life in general. But what are they saying?
They are saying "I am sorry, you feel this way. How can I help you?", and that is truly remarkable. But we aren't listening to them. We keep talking over them, and complaining about them, without giving them a chance.
I am proud to say that I have several good guy friends. I have both girl and guy friends. But some times, I want to talk to my guy friends and not my girl friends, simply because guys are guys. Men act differently then women. They are usually, more laid back, and great for a fun time.
The other day, I was talking to my sister and my mom about guys at our school. We had just been invited to an event by a guy and another guy was going as well. Our conversation was interesting to me. It went something like this:
Mom: Is this guy J (I am not going to put their names on here) a good guy?
Me: What do you mean "a good guy"? He is nice, and not mean.
Mom: Well, yes. But is he as nice as C?
(C is the other guy going to the event.)
I thought about this for a minute, and said that yes he was. We start talking about how good guys can be. We rated guys that we know. We had C and J rated as a ten, the highest you can go.
The conversation dies away, but I start thinking. What would I rate guys I know?
I was happy to find that I would (honestly) rate most of them above a six.
I started thinking about all the nicest things guys have done for me, with or without trying. But then I realized guys do somethings that are so nice, but we don't give them credit for it.
When a guy asks you out on a date, he is giving you a compliment. He is telling you that you are worth his time, effort, money, and affection. He is saying that he wants the world to know what you are worth to him.
I know so many guys that are nice people. They respect the people around them, and they listen to my complaining and everyone else's. This is my tribute to them. Thank you for everything you have done, are doing, and will do. I am proud to know you.

I dedicate this piece to the men of the world.