It's All About 18 | Teen Ink

It's All About 18

By Btung SILVER, Randolph, Massachusetts
Btung SILVER, Randolph, Massachusetts

"I have not failed. I only found 10,000 ways that do not work."

The Boston Celtics are not primed to win a championship for another 5 years. Currently hanging 17 banners, the Celtics's roster never looked so different. Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullinger have great numbers, but their chemistry could use significant work. Avery Bradley, through his exquisite defense, has proven himself to be a valuable asset from the Develpomental League. Brad Stevens, the head coach, started his first year as head coach this past October and starts to taste sweet defeat in multiple occasions. Straight from Butler, Brad Stevens, who won approximately 77% of his college games, has stockpiled countless losses this year in the NBA. However, this is not Stevens's fault. Danny Ainge, the control center of the Boston Celtics, is reconfiguring the team through trades, releases, and signings. Consequently, the team has never looked newer. Rajon Rondo, the last remnant of the 2008 championship team, remains intact with Boston, but relations with Ainge seem dim. Just this past Thursday, Rondo felt "scared" that he would be dealt by Ainge for the betterment of the Celtics. Last year, I watch Kevin Garnett, a former Celtic, proclaim, "IT'S ALL ABOUT 18!" The lights dimmed, Kevin's passionate demeanor faded, and the spectators, such as myself, were left optimistic. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce were both dealt to the Brooklyn Nets. Kevin, through Danny Ainge's consideration of even trading Paul and Kevin, made felt broken and left Danny and Boston. Kevin's decision came as a result of Danny Ainge's straightforward decision to even trade two captains that will leave perpetual imprints on the NBA. In my opinion, there is a line between winning and losing. Players that have history with teams, such as Dirk Nowitzki with Dallas, Kobe Bryant with Los Angles, and Dwyane Wade with Miami, should never be dealt. As a Celtics fan, I watched Paul Pierce, the former captain of Boston, sign with Brooklyn, play for Brooklyn, and stand on the shoulders of Brooklyn. This feeling hurts. Danny Ainge will make pivotal decisions that will leave fans, players, and even the league stunned. This was one of them. It's All About 18.

The Celtics have really cut every last possible string. Former captain Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett had inseperable ties with the city of Boston. When they returned as Nets, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce spilled tears. They left, but their hearts were still in Boston. They were home and they knew it. Pierce, Garnett, and Ainge all turned heads when they made their decisions. It really was all about Banner 18 for Ainge.