Virtual Violence | Teen Ink

Virtual Violence

By attackdogswoof BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
attackdogswoof BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

There are a lot of bad things that happen on the Earth, and one of the things that people blame is video games. Why, well because its easy to blame because around 56% of Americans play video games according to Theesa. Video games do not cause violence and in fact it is impossible to tell that the game actually caused it, and they can even benefit you.

According to Springer violent video games make children with attention deficit or depressive symptoms more calm. They found no association between violent games and violent behavior. A quote by him says “Statistically speaking it would actually be more unusual if a youth delinquent or shooter did not play violent video games, given that the majority of youth and young men play such games at least occasionally”.And according to Time as increase in game sales went up crime went down at around every 1% increase in sales gave a .3% decrease in crime. Also studies have shown that they benefit the people who play them.

American Psychological Association did a meta-analysis in 2013 and found shooter games to improve a person's capacity to think about objects in three dimensions.While role playing games increase problem solving skills. Video games also increase a child's creativity. According to the Huntington post a 2009 study showed that shooters like Call of Duty can make your vision better. It made a boost in the gamer's contrast sensitivity function or ability to see slight changes in brightness and is helpful for things like driving in the dark. So with all this its safe to say that video games do not contribute to violence.

So if video games were the cause of violence and over 50% of Americans playing them it would be a massacre, but its not, so don't say video games are the cause. With video games being beneficial they should also be more encouraged not discouraged.