I am not yellow | Teen Ink

I am not yellow

When I was an oblivious child, I was taught many different colors. I grew up having the privilege to see in color while there are others who are blind and can only see in black and white. I was taught that the sun is yellow, the sky is blue, fire is red, and black is night. It wasn't until one day in middle school, when I told people I was Asian, they'd pick on me and tell me I'm yellow. I was so confused. I went home to my mother asking her why kids said I was yellow, and why they would call me chinky. She immediately became stiff and defensive saying things like, "Who in their right mind would call you that?" It wasn't until I was a freshman in high school that I could finally interpret what those kids said to me, and it is a discriminate comment I will never forget. What it taught me was this:

I was born with a heart, and so were they.
I was born being ignorant, and so were they.

However, why is it that they chose to stay ignorant? Failing to realize that I am just as human as they are. I have fingernails, a tongue, eyes, hair, and all the human characteristics? Yet, I am called yellow? Why is it that we call each other by our colors?

"That black girl/boy over there."
"That person with the small eyes; probably Asian."
"That white cracker."
"That orange Mexican who looks like she/he works at chipotle."
"That Indian girl with the dot on her head."
"That muslim girl wearing a burqa."

Why do we do this to each other in society? Why is it so easy for people to regard each other by color? when we are all equals living and breathing? Yes, I am yellow. But, I am black, I am white, I am tan, I am orange, I am blue, I am green. At the end of the day, no matter what color I am, I am just as human.

I am made up by science, that is a fact. But I will not be made up by those who discriminate my race. Because when we die, none of us are different.