The Truth About Emo/Scene/Goth Kids | Teen Ink

The Truth About Emo/Scene/Goth Kids

By Purplerebelgirl13 GOLD, Toronto, Other
Purplerebelgirl13 GOLD, Toronto, Other

Picture this. You walk onto a subway car listening to the new Katy Perry single. You are wearing new jeans from American eagle and a shirt from Abercrombie. You sit across from this person who automatically draws your attention to them like a sore thumb. They are a unique person. Black fringe hair covers half of their face, black nail polish covers their fingers, ripped skinny jeans and black combat boots, and dark eye makeup creating an imagine you wont forget. You look in horror. You judge the second you see them that they must be “emo” or “depressed”. In your mind they quickly become a scary outcast. The people society wishes to get rid of.

But just for once next time you see someone like this, think again. Don’t we all have the right to express ourselves? We are all different. When I see people like that I look and think I wish I had the guts to express myself like they do, be who I really am. But the worst part of this is, society feels the need to label these people. Label them as an emo, cutter, and loner. Why cant we, everyone, all over the world, just except our differences and embrace the individuality.

As a person who has been called emo, goth, punk, loner, freak, cutter, scene, and many other things, just take my word for it. Everyone has multiple levels of himself or herself. Everyone has good and bad in them, its which side you choose to act on that counts and contributes to you as a person. Just because they dress a certain way or have jet black hair doesn’t determine who they are. They could end up being the liveliest happy person of all. Who are you to judge their appearance?

So to conclude, everyone who has looked up “emo” on urban dictionary, rethink your life please. Rethink your outlook. If you judge everyone, you will not get very far in life. So be you. I dare you whoever you are, next time you see someone different, look them in the eye and give them a compliment. Say “nice hair” or “cool makeup”. So basically this all boils down to one thing, don’t stop anyone stop anyone from being who they are and never let society define you.