Travel Writing; What Could Possibly Be a Better Sunday? | Teen Ink

Travel Writing; What Could Possibly Be a Better Sunday?

By Ramisha Anwar BRONZE, East Elmhurst, New York
Ramisha Anwar BRONZE, East Elmhurst, New York

A lot of suds, soap and bubbles. Circles and circles of clothes spinning, glancing at the cloud like suds but watching the bubbles disappear in the splash of water. Taking out clothes and putting a new batch in, what can possibly be a better Sunday?

Focused and so determined at which machines have my clothes, but slowly hearing the noises of people getting .Those same faces, same thoughts and same minds, again and again every Sunday. Regardless of the loud noises of both the people and machines, I’m still not able to put full focus , maybe because it’s like nine in the morning. I need that morning coffee. Now slowly transitioning out of the laundry timing myself, actually thinking that I will only leave for thirty minutes, just to go to the near by bakery, my favorite bakery. People crowd all over, way too many people, as if the whole East Elmhurst district were there or something, while judging everyone there and thinking all this, remembering still that “oh yeah, I am here for the coffee.” People ordering danishes, quiches, bread puddings, again I just want a coffee, now thinking maybe a bread pudding too. Looking at my hand like as if I really have a watch on; I don’t. Reaching towards my left pocket, and checking my phone, 25 mins left. This is not just about getting the coffee, but this definitely turned into more like a race. “Yessssssss!”, I silently think to myself, two more people left, as if I am almost close to the finish and about to win a trophy.

Suddenly, I see an elderly woman standing, coming towards this endless line, she can hardly stand up. Regardless of the fact that she can stand still she still doesn’t give up trying, yet no one offers her to skip them or to even help her in general. I tell her that she can skip me, she doesn’t say much but just smiles.After getting her stuff, she looks at me and tells me, “It’s a blessing to have kids like you still left.” Wow I just felt something, I guess it’s nice to get nice comments like that, you feel like you have done something for the sake of humanity. Finally I get my coffee, it’s perfect, half n half; one sugar not to light not too dark . Though this time, it tastes the bestest coffee I have ever tasted. I don’t know if because I waited such a long time for it, you know when people say “patience is the key to life”... or something. Or because I actually did a good deed today. I guess patience has its own rewards in this world….