A Day in the Life of a Pioneer | Teen Ink

A Day in the Life of a Pioneer

I awoke to the sun rushing through the small window in my loft. I yawned and stretched, almost falling out of my bed that was much too small for me. I got out of bed and walked to the old, wooden chest that contained my clothes. It wasn’t too hard to choose what clothes to wear, considering I only had owned three dresses. I quickly put on my everyday, brown dress. After that, I put my hair in a braid and my worn out bonnet. Then I quietly went down the ladder in my loft.

My house isn’t the most extravagant, it only has 2 rooms downstairs, a bedroom and a room that contained most everything, and of course, my loft. Out the window by the door I could see a two deer in the tree, Pa must have had a good night of hunting! Then I noticed Ma was making breakfast, a disgusting mush, by the fireplace. My Ma has the most acute hearing, and even though I attempted to go unnoticed, she turned around and looked at me. I knew exactly what she was going to say, she says it every morning.

Ma said to me, “Your braid is a mess! You should fix it after you, feed the chickens, and fetch water from the well. And be quick about it, I want you to eat some breakfast before school.”

I had to try really hard not to sigh or to roll my eyes, I just nodded my head and went out the door. I grabbed the metal pail by the door and headed out to the stream. When the pail was filled and returned to my house, I went to the barn to feed the chickens. After I finished feeding the chickens, I skipped back to the house for my mush, I mean breakfast.

I went inside and ate my breakfast, as much of a struggle as it was. When I was finished, Ma remade my braid the way she thought was appropriate, and pulled my hair so tight, it hurt. I quickly grabbed my metal lunch pail and book, then headed off to school. I was running late and had to fun as fast as I possibly could so I wasn’t late.

I arrived in school, just when the teacher started ringing the bell, meaning I got there just in the knick of time. I sat in my seat next to Eliza, and in front of this trouble making boy, Thomas. When the teacher, Mrs. Webb, was helping one of the younger students, Thomas grabbed my hair and stuck into the inkwell at the top of his desk. I screamed and the teacher came over. Mrs. Webb took a ruler and smacked Thomas’ hands and sent him to sit in the corner with a dunce hat on. Then Mrs. Webb grabbed a pair of scissors off her desk and cut my long hair. Ma and Pa would be so mad!

I was so scared of what Ma and Pa would do, I burst out into tears. Mrs. Webb took me outside and told me I could head home if I wished. I was so ashamed of my hair, I agreed and started leaving. I tied my bonnet over my head so no-one noticed my hair. I was walking slowly, dreading arriving home.

When I got home, I went out to the barn. I saw my Pa working on a table. I didn’t want to disturb him but stepped on a twig and he took notice of me.

Pa gave me a questioning look then asked, “Why are you home so early?”

I quickly replied, “ I didn’t feel so well, and wanted to come home.”

Pa told me to go to Ma. I followed orders. I gave Ma the same excuse, so she wanted to feel my forehead for a fever. When she put her hand to my head, my bonnet fell down. She gasped at the sight of my hair. Pa had just walked in and was staring too. I broke down crying.

Then Pa burst out into laughter. What the heck? And Ma joined in too. I stopped crying and gave them both a quizzical look.

Pa said, “Well that’s a surprise! We should buy you a wig!”

Then Ma chimed in with, “Why not 5?”

We could barely afford to buy food, let alone wigs!

Then Pa started explaining, “I got a job! It has very good wages, we can buy new dresses, a horse, a new bed, almost anything.”

I exclaimed, “Pa, that’s wonderful!”

After my bad day, it had turned wonderful! After dinner, I was quite tired and headed to bed. I said my prayers and went to sleep. All was looking up.

on May. 3 2016 at 7:54 am
cjwriter235 BRONZE, Culpeper , Virginia
Really good story. It made me think of Laura Ingalls

ElsyM GOLD said...
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas

"Carpe diem"

Good! You included plenty of small details that point to the time period.

on Jul. 19 2013 at 11:52 am
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
I really enjoyed reading you story, it was fun and happy. I liked the happy ending and the characters. But what is the main characters name?