The New Career | Teen Ink

The New Career

The New Career
There are many careers in today's society, doctors, lawyers, chefs, custodians, and more, but what many people don't know is that there is a real and viable career where someone can sit on social media sites everyday. When someone wants to look for a funny video, music video, movie trailer or any other type of video they go to YouTube. It a worldwide billion dollar company that is now owned by google. Billions of people visit the site everyday but not everyone stops to think about what it is like for the people who upload the videos. It turns out that not only are a lot of these people more famous than some celebrities they can also make a real living by sitting on their computers every day.
One example of this is a boy who is 18 years old who sits at home all day with nothing but his phone, laptop and camera. This boys name is Troye Sivan. In many of his videos he tells his audience a lot about his life and how his normal daily activity includes, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, YouTube, food and sleep. Once a week his day includes making a video which he then uploads to YouTube. This is how he makes a living. Another example is someone by the name of Tyler Oakley. He is 24 years old and also makes his living on YouTube. His daily life includes things similar to Troyes and also things like partying, he has even met the president. There are so many people who live like this, Grace Helbig, Zoe Sugg, Jenna Mourey, Hannah Hart, John and Hank Green and those are just the ones I follow. They get paid for this job like any other but with the money comes fame, admirers, and a lot of cool trips. It may be thought that these people ostracize themselves from society but a lot of these people are friends even though they live in different parts of the world, but that just means that they can travel to each other and guest star in each other's videos. They also travel to things like vidcon which is a convention for video stars.
To travel the world like they do it takes money which as it turns out is no problem for them. According to bizcovering popular YouTubers make around $5 per 1,000 video views. One YouTuber named Zoe Sugg who makes videos under the name Zoella has made 143 videos gets anywhere from 700,00 to 3,000,000 views per video. Averaged out this is about 1,850,000 views per video, and since Zoella is very popular she would most likely get $5 per 1,000 video views and when calculated, so far she has most likely made $1,322,750 in only 3 years. That’s $440,916.66 a year which is more than 10,000 times greater than the national salary, and this is not including the money she gets from ads on her videos. Not only is this career viable it also pays far better than most jobs. As these people continue to make videos their popularity increases and with it their income increases. If someone opened YouTube right now the top video that shows up was uploaded one day ago by a user who has never posted a video before but already this video has over 16 million views, so theoretically this person has made over $80,000 in one day.
Although this job comes with many great things it does come with some difficult things. These people have to let their viewers into their homes and lives and share a lot of personal things. From the videos I've seen I have learned a lot about the YouTubers. Both Troye Sivan and Tyler Oakley came out in their videos, many introduce friends, boyfriends, siblings and parents, they film themselves all around their homes, and they talk about their personal problems to millions of people. However in some ways this can be a good thing as well, if they have a problem they have thousands of people supporting them and commenting on their videos with advice or people going through the same problems. They always have a sea of love and support. These YouTubers also have to work on their videos a lot before they can upload them. In order for them to get popular they need quality videos and to achieve that it takes a lot of editing. But this teaches them about work and shows the world that they know how to work hard to make something great. This makes it unlike the many celebrities who are famous for practically nothing, this makes it a real job.
Having this job would be really cool, so cool that I consider it all the time, but I would need something interesting to say. These YouTubers have worked hard for their lives and they deserve their fame. Being a YouTuber is a great job that is better than most normal jobs. They get to meet a lot of cool people, travel the world, be online all day, make a lot of money, be famous, be supported by thousands, and live their dreams. The best part about this job is that all that is needed is a computer and a camera, even a computer with a camera could work to start out. Just think of something creative and hit record that's how easy it is. This job is a real and possible career choice for anyone who wants to try. No matter what age someone is they could be making thousands or even millions of dollars and be happy doing it.