This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By Grace Hammer BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
Grace Hammer BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin

Faith

I believe in faith; the trust or belief in something without proof. Some people don’t think this is possible, but we know the wind is there even if we can’t see it. Christians, like myself, often get judged, but we have to put all that aside and stay true to our beliefs. I feel like a stronger, fuller person with God on my side.

I’m not saying having faith in God is easy. I have questioned if my faith was as solid as I thought it was through many hard times. If God really loved me, why was he making all these bad things happen to me? Sometimes I started to lose my strong belief in Him. After I had regained my full faith, I realized that everything happens for a reason; I just didn’t quite know what that reason was. I am now stronger than ever before after conquering the faults. It took some time to do, but it was well worth it.

The good times, on the other hand, have been a blast! I rarely forget to thank the Lord for all the great things he has blessed me with. I may not show that I like my siblings all too much, but I am very blessed to have two who will be there for me when I need them to be. Having the opportunity to get together with other Christians every summer at camp has been another blessing. The only reason we go is to build strong, healthy relationships with God and others that we will never forget.

My strong faith in God has been passed down from my parents, and my parents faith passed from their mom and dad. The chain continues on and on. I guess this is how my faith sparked. Going to church and Sunday school when I was younger helped fuel the flame. Questioning what was being taught to me was not part of the equation until later; whatever the adults said was right. As I have grown older, I have formed my own opinions and I want to know how we are all born sinners, why we go to church on Sunday, and why we follow the Ten Commandments.

Questioning my beliefs has made my faith that much stronger. Every time a question gets answered, I understand more and more why my faith is so strong or I have another question to dig even deeper. I will always have questions that may or may not be able to be answered.

Faith is not just for church. I have faith in myself and in others, even if nobody else does. People have to know that they can do almost anything they set their mind to and work for. Swami Vivekananda once said “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.” I interpret that he is saying believe in yourself before you try to believe in anything or anyone else. I know this firsthand. I didn’t believe in myself, and that made me doubt what I believed in. Not believing in myself started a vicious cycle of doubting myself, doubting God, and gaining my faith in God back. Faith in myself is first and foremost, then the Lord, and finally others.

When I put God before all other things in my life, he helps me with most things. I can pray to Him for anything, whether he answers them the way I want him to or not. The Lord knows what is best for me. It may not be what I want for me, and it may upset me, but it is God’s plan and I intend to follow it.

If you don’t have faith, your life won’t be as satisfying as you think it will be. Going to church is one thing, but actually having faith is another. Everyone should take a shot at having faith. Who knows, it may become a huge part of your life, just like it is a major part of mine.

on May. 8 2014 at 10:16 am
Grace Hammer BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
Why thank you!!

Kara26 BRONZE said...
on May. 8 2014 at 10:15 am
Kara26 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is very inspiring!!