Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

An Argument Against School Uniforms

By Joel M., Hinckley, UT

There is an ongoing discussion in this nation about school uniforms, whether or not they help with behavior problems, and increase test scores. As an eighth grade student at Delta Middle School, I do not want school uniforms. In this paper I will present the argument against wearing school uniforms. I will include, personal opinion and will also site research.

Kade A., a sixth grade student, when asked about school uniforms said, “No, I don’t like them, because they are uncomfortable, and make you feel like you are in your church clothes all the time.” Daycen J., another student said, “I don’t like school uniforms because they take away student’s individuality.”

Dr. Alan Hilfer, senior psychologist in Brooklyn’s Children’s and Adolescent Unit at Maimonides Medical Center states:

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

7 comment(s)
Wow this is a horrible argument
Apr. 01, 2015 at 2:22 PM • Report
I have to disagree. Kids get judged all the time at schools w/o uniforms and there's a lot of pressure to wear what's popular. That can create an uncomfortable atmosphere. If you're worried about impressing people based on what you're wearing, it definitely won't help academic performance. In fact, it will probably hurt it. So uniforms make sense in a lot of schools. They reduce peer pressure. They help remind kids what they're supposed to be focusing on--which is not how tiny their friend's shorts are!
May. 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM • Report
I think we should wear uniforms.Because it may create discrimination between the children.it may develope a inferiority complex in the minds of the children who are not properly dressed.This may help them lose their confidence level and not participating in class events.and it may also cause oyher problems.So we should not see our desires but should think about other poor children and their welfare.
Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM • Report
I also do not think kids should have to wear uniforms becuase clothes are a form of expression and that should not be taken away. 
Feb. 01, 2014 at 5:49 PM • Report
Dalton H.
I see why some people would support uniforms, but I agree that uniforms aren't that good.  Sure, you can't bully people for the way they dress, but expression of yourself is more important.  If people didn't want to be bullied for te way they dress then they would wear clothes that are considered "cool".
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:38 PM • Report
I don't think we should have school uniforms since we don't get to be our self. It takes away our individuality.
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM • Report
SCHOOL UNIForm is  a waste of time bump school  
Jan. 07, 2013 at 12:05 PM • Report