Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

An Argument Against School Uniforms

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

There is an ongoing discussion in this nation about school uniforms, whether or not they help with behavior problems, and increase test scores. As an eighth grade student at Delta Middle School, I do not want school uniforms. In this paper I will present the argument against wearing school uniforms. I will include, personal opinion and will also site research.

Kade A., a sixth grade student, when asked about school uniforms said, “No, I don’t like them, because they are uncomfortable, and make you feel like you are in your church clothes all the time.” Daycen J., another student said, “I don’t like school uniforms because they take away student’s individuality.”

Dr. Alan Hilfer, senior psychologist in Brooklyn’s Children’s and Adolescent Unit at Maimonides Medical Center states:

Page 1 of 6

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

20 comment(s)
Oceanofheroes?
I have a school uniform. It's already pretty constricting, but on Wednesdays we have a formal uniform that's worse. The shirt feels like paper (not exaggerating at all) and the shorts the girls have to where under the skirt are uncomfortable and tight. Also, the uniforms aren't right for some people's body types. It makes some girls feel bad about their bodies. I think that this argument is really good and I can definitely relate.
Nov. 19, 2016 at 6:20 PM • Report
Clorox
TRIGGER WARNING ON ARTICLE
Sep. 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM • Report
Clorox
TRIGGERED how can it increase bullying and who would be bullying i find that to be a ton of bs
Sep. 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM • Report
DarknessIsForeverWithMe
I use to wear uniforms in my old school and they do take away a students individuality. My new school doesn't have uniforms lucky but I can totally relate to your article you did a great job.
Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:56 PM • Report
babytaytay
lucky u I still have to wear a uniform
Apr. 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM • Report
MikeLiberty
I would've mentioned that it's fascist.
Nov. 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM • Report
williscodi
I wear a school uniform everyday and it’s uncomfortable to wear. I would like to go to school and be comfortable while I'm doing something i don't like to do. As it says in the passage, “ by instituting a uniform policy, schools are taking away kids’ individuality.”
Nov. 05, 2015 at 1:23 PM • Report
itss.hallee
An Argument Against School Uniforms I am a 10th grade student who also disagrees with the decision of making kids were school uniforms. I agree with possession of school uniforms takes away a students individuality. "Clothes are a source of expression for children, and as kids get older, they become increasingly resentful of uniforms…” This article is one that needs to have the attention state wide . Thanks for writing this.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 1:19 PM • Report
mariyahm--
“I do not want school uniforms,” I disagree with this issue because I think that wearing school uniforms is unique, and that it makes the school look well organized. This can relate to me as a student because I don’t have a problem with wearing a school uniforms because that means that I don’t have to wake up in the morning or have to find clothes that night for school the next day. "Clothes are a source of expression for children…” I understand that, but the kids can express themselves through their uniform also. They just don’t have to wear the plain ole uniform they can add style to it. That’s why there is a thing called being unique in your own way!
Nov. 04, 2015 at 12:10 PM • Report
2brumfielda
Being a student myself, I completely agree with the argument against school uniforms. “I feel that school uniforms diminish creativity and self expression." It’s true because uniforms destroy a student’s style.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 10:01 AM • Report
Close