Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Chaos Theory This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Debbie G., Arlington Heights, IL

Carolyn says she believes in angels
while mascara spiders creep thickly along the
heavy baggage beneath her eyes like the
black pitch of the school hallways at night or
the charcoal that she dips her fingernails in and I
remember cheating on my math test that morning
So
I tell her I believe in people.

Roasted honey nut, the color she was born with but
you really wouldn’t know it because of the midnight L’Oréal
she chooses, tragically highlighted with Punk Pink or
Raging Red from a bottle and 15
minutes of waiting –
It spills limply over her black eyes whenever she leans down to write and
Carolyn says she believes in fate.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
WOWriting
I love this and I love the fact you're so absorbed in the poem you don't even realise what Carolyn's trying to say until the very end :) AMAZING. 
Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:50 AM • Report
quatorze
Ever since I first found this poem over a year ago, I constantly come back to read it whenever I look at my list of favorites. This poem is absolutely amazing and captivates me from the beginning to the end. Great job on it!
Apr. 07, 2013 at 12:30 PM • Report
roserain
This poem is really amazing, and I don't really say that a lot. I found myself mumbling fragments of it under my breath today and just had to find it again. It must have been months since I read it last, but it affected me so much I couldn't shake it from my subconcsious. I think that's the mark of an incredible writer. I know this poem was submitted in 2009, but if by chance you (the writer!) sees these comments, I just want to tell you I think you're amazing and your writing is amazing and this is the only time I've ever found it appropriate to use asdfghjkl;. Right down to the title: so beautifully intertwined into the essence of your words, and yet so unexpected and abstract. Right down to the tone and the separations of lines, where 'ands' leave a sense of uncertainty and a certain intensity I can't quite pinpoint. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, but I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say this: I hope, almost four years after this masterpiece (I'm not sucking up, I'm serious), you're continuing to write beautiful, heart wrenching words. I hope you become a published writer and I hope you're leading a beautiful life. I really wish the best for you. Your talent is raw and rare.
Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM • Report
C-rizzle
Whoa. I love this. Amazingly written. It's like something we're going to find in the literary textbooks one day. It's so deep. The first time I read it, I was like, "Wait...did she...?" Then I went back and read it again and it confirmed by suspicions. Wow. It's just great. 
Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM • Report
SweetThing
i love the story aspect it holds from start to finish and the captivation of it is immense :)
Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM • Report
Close