“Shock Value” | Teen Ink

“Shock Value” MAG

Timbaland is known for his music production skills and his presence in the recording studio. He has produced many hits including “SexxyBack” by Justin Timberlake, “Headsprung” by LL Cool J and “Work It” by Missy Elliot. These all have something in common: they feature rhythmic instrumentals and beats that make your head bop.

“Shock Value,” which features production work by Timbaland on all but one track, is just awful. If Timbaland is such a great producer, then why do the instrumentals on his album make you want to cut off your ears?

“Shock Value” contains some of the worst instrumentals I have ever heard. Since when does a bunch of random beeping noises qualify as an instrumental?

When featured on another artist’s track for a short time, Timbaland’s unique rapping sound is pleasant. Listening to Timbaland rap on every single track is just plain irritating. He sounds much better when he is collaborating with another artist and rapping a smaller verse. Though Timbaland still collaborates with others, the roles are flip-flopped. Timbaland raps the longer verse while the more talented musical artists are stuck with only a few bars. It’s blasphemy!

“Shock Value” is anything but shocking. This is one of the most disappointing albums of the year. I had high expectations, but it came up very short. I hope that Timbaland sticks to producing other artists’ albums, not his own.