The Radioactive Boy Scout by Ken Silverstein | Teen Ink

The Radioactive Boy Scout by Ken Silverstein

The Radioactive Boy Scout, by Ken Silverstein, focuses on the life of David Hahn, a Boy Scout and science whiz from the outskirts of Detroit. At a very young age, David started to develop an interest in science, specifically chemistry and atomic energy. He performed multiple experiments requiring common household items, but then he progressed to conducting experiments with highly reactive periodic table elements that he ordered from government agencies disguised as a physics teacher. Using his main scientific resource, The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments, David began to devote his life primarily to science. While working on his Atomic Energy merit badge, he attempts to build a highly radioactive nuclear breeder reactor, something a typical teenager hadn’t done before. Silverstein takes us through David’s quest to achieve scientific supremacy and reaction to building this impressive device. Aside from the great scientific detail in the book, The Radioactive Boy Scout emphasizes the values of hard work, dedication, and following dreams, which can be applied to your daily life. David Hahn demonstrated all of these characteristics by working countless hours, making his life revolve around science, and wanting to be a famous scientist. By analyzing David and his life, the author reinforces the fact that if you focus your mind on your goal and continue to pursue it, then you will successfully reach it. David’s “strive for scientific greatness” and his devotion to science are evidenced in the book when it reads on page 29, “Do you want to share in the making of that astonishing and promising future? It was an appeal for all converts, and it struck a deep chord with David…With the Golden Book as his bible, he joined the atomic fraternity.”
Overall, Silverstein did a wonderful job writing this book. Silverstein excitingly traced the life journey of David Hahn by including his personal quotes and by including the reactions of outside sources (family, friends, school teachers, etc.) to his experiments. Also, Silverstein described the entire plot with great imagery, making it possible to visualize each event that occurred in the book. Additionally, the book is 209 pages, making the novel one of the quicker, yet still exciting reads. However, personally, Silverstein could have done things better to improve the quality of the book. In some of the chapters, the book may seem to have a textbook like feel, listing facts about scientific processes and historical events. On page 108, the book reads, “These tools contain isotopes, doubly encapsulated in stainless steel, that emit gamma rays or neutrons (cesium-137, among others, generates the former; a mixture of americium-241 and beryllium produces the latter).” This example demonstrates some of the overly technical information meaningless to the story. Also, throughout the novel, Silverstein includes intricate details about David’s experiments, not really necessary to the plot. This is why people interested in science, high-school aged and above, will enjoy the book the most. They may be intrigued by all the science facts and they could potentially apply the science techniques to their personal experiments. If you are not very interested in science or not interested in science at all, this would not be the ideal read. Since I am very interested in science, I enjoyed reading the book because it taught me about science as well as practical life lessons, like trying your best in everything you do and never giving up. Personally, I am recommending that this book should be read, merely due to the fact that I enjoy science. But if you are not an aspiring scientist or are not fascinated by science, I do not recommend this book. The Radioactive Boy Scout can teach you a lot about science, but if science is not your passion, this book is not for you.