Asian American Movement | Teen Ink

Asian American Movement

By Nick Osterman BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Nick Osterman BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

The Asian American Movement

The Asian American Movement was the history of an ethnic and racial groups in the United States who are immigrants or people that are from people that came from the continent of Asia. This took place in the 1960’s. There were many different groups that took place in this Asian American Movement and the were Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino Americans. After a while with this the Asian American Movement on more were added to the groups and some of them that became part of the group were Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, and South Asian Americans. Ost of them had arrived as unskilled workers and came in significant numbers in the 1850-1905, and largely settled in California and Hawaii. They cause intense hostility on the mainland into the 1940’s. Because of the change in the immigration laws, middle class Asians from many countries arrived in large numbers as college students, engineers and businessmen.

Many people thought different about this. Some people agreed with the Asian American Movement and other people did not agree with the Asian American Movement. The groups that agreed with the Asian American Movement were trying to get the Asian American civil rights. The group of people that did not agree with the Asian American Movement were trying to not let the Asian Americans get their civil rights. There were many activists during this time period trying to fight for the Asian American Movement. One person that was an activist fighting for the Asian AMerican Movement in this time period was Yuri Kochiyama. She would be fighting for the group that agreed with the Asian American Movement. They would fight for the civil rights.

The writer Amy Tan grew up in this time period and she knows what happened during that time period. She would be a person that would have been an activist because she was a Chinese American. Her parents were probably fighting for the Asian American civil rights. She wrote some books about this time period of when the Asian American Movement took place and what it was like to grow up in this time period. She knew this because she grew up during the time period of the Asian American Movement.

Some ways she did that was in the book mothers tongue was that her mom did not speak very good english and people would judge her and she would be able to get what she wanted when she was talking to people in person or over the phone. Amy Tan would talk to people for her mom since she grew up with americans and learned the english language better then her mom. She also told us in her book the two kinds. When she was growing up her mom wanted her to be the best because if she was the best she would be looked at differently and would get her own civil rights.

This was trying to get them to be identified like the asian american movement was doing. That one connection I made about the books and the Asian American Movement. Also in the story Amy Tan told her mom that she was not going to do any more piano lessons because she was not good at it and since she was not good at it she thought she should not be doing something she did not like and was not good at it.

There were some deeper meaning in the stories. Some of the deeper meanings in the story are was that even though you are not good at something does not mean you are not better than someone else that is good at something. Another deeper meaning in the story is if someone is making you so something, You should be able to defend yourself about it. Another deeper meaning the story is that even how old you are you can still learn and identify yourself.

I had to do this for a class assignment