Infection DC | Teen Ink

Infection DC

By Corbin Knappins BRONZE, Perrysburg, Ohio
Corbin Knappins BRONZE, Perrysburg, Ohio

I remember that day very clearly. I was working Secret Service for President Squires and my wife called me home to help with her medicine. At that time Mary was receiving chemo for her cancer for two years. When I got home my daughter Anne ran up to me and gave me a big hug.

“Hi daddy!” she yelled as I pulled into the driveway.
“Hey sweetie” I replied.
I walked in and saw Mary all happy. I haven’t seen her happy in a very long time. So I was a little confused.
“Some one looks very happy,” I said.
“I got it,” she said.
“The cure?” I asked.
“Yep” she replied in joy.

The cure for cancer had been developed back in 2015 and it was now 2016. You had to go to a very intense screening to get the cure and we had been trying for six months now. I was so glad for her to finally have it.

All that happened almost a year ago. I was at my office when I heard on the news that some people who had gotten the cure began showing some weird symptoms. I remember thinking how could this happen a year later, and not earlier? I thought nothing of it and carried on with my day.

About three months later the newspaper read ‘Zombie Outbreak’. After I read that I immediately went to J.J., good friend and colleague of mine.

“Hey J.J.” I said “can you cover my shift; I need to go home and check on my wife”
“Sure thing,” she said.
“Be back soon”
“Wait” she yelled “don’t forget your USP”
The H&K USP is my service pistol. I’m the only one who has this pistol, everyone else has a 9mm Glock. It has an 11 round magazine and fires a .45 caliber round. It is a trusty gun and I take it everywhere I go, the good thing is that it’s mine so they can’t take it if I get fired or quit.
So I drove as fast as I could home. I didn’t stop for anything. When I got home I could hear Anne yelling. She sounded extremely scared. I kicked down the door and that’s when I saw her. Mary’s face was all grey and her eyes were yellow and bleeding.
“Mary?” I asked “is that you?”
The only response I got from her was a groan. That was when she charged at me from across the room. I pulled out my USP.45 and aimed. All I could think about was ‘why didn’t I take that news report more seriously?’
“I don’t want to do it” I screamed.

She just kept on charging. So I fired one in each knee. She fell to the floor but she crawled at me faster than I have ever seen anyone crawl that fast before and I was a SEAL for ten years. Bang! It was over in a flash. I had shot her between the eyes. At that moment Anne came in.
“Daddy” she cried “what happened?”

“No time” I said “we need to get somewhere safe”

The only safe place I could think of was the White House. When we got there and walked inside and saw the President on the floor dead looking the same as my wife did. I was shocked and then angry. I turned to JJ.

“What happened?” I asked.
She replied, “There were too many, we were over run,”
Just as she finished about 6 zombies jumped on her and started eating her alive. I was horrible but I needed to help.
“JJ!” I yelled.
“Help me!” she screamed.

I had no idea what I needed to do. Moments later I could hear her saying something I could barely make out, but I knew what she had said. ‘Shoot me’. Without hesitation I shot until her and those monsters stopped moving. Click. I needed a fresh mag. I reloaded and ran up to Anne.

“Its okay” I assured her.
“Daddy I’m scared,” she whimpered.
“I know, but now we need to find a place to stay,”

I knew just the place. The President’s underground bunker is the safest place I could think of at the moment. We had made our way to the door and I typed in the pass code the opened with a hiss. The next thing I saw was a room filled with zombies and three Agents shooting at them with AR’s and Uzi’s.

All of this happened 39 days ago.