Free Definition | Teen Ink

Free Definition

By Olga1 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Olga1 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"We ask 18-year-olds to make huge decisions about their career and financial future, when a month ago they had to ask to go to the bathroom."

We are all free. Rejoice, brothers, we are all free! Stop your fighting, there is not a need, we are all free!
Free to be born black and female. Free to watch TV about how pleasurable Western life is. Free to read books about how pleasurable Western Life is. Free to update statuses and upload more selfies. Free to learn about what terrible things other countries are doing. Free to learn about America’s rectitude and the good America is doing. Free to learn about Global Warming from the real expert - Glenn Beck. Free to attend an institution where the idea that kids learn differently does not exist - an institution where everyone is taught and graded the same. Free to learn only what they want to teach you. Free to be questioned in school, then told that any answer is okay, and then be called idiotic when answering. Free to practice conformity on a daily basis. Free to dream only of being either a tall, skinny, white, strong male or an average-height, skinny, beautiful woman. Free to attend college on a basketball scholarship. Free to receive none of the millions of dollars made by the NCAA from March Madness. Free to be “too old” to play professional basketball anymore. Free to give up the dream of a Utopian Earth.
Free to find a job. Free to be discriminated in the workplace, and free to make 70 cents on the dollar. Free to be a blind follower of Materialism - a restraint on it’s own. Free to vote for any white, old male you want to represent you. Free to invade any other country and, fight the real enemy- the Muslim terrorists. Free to fight two countries at a time -freedom does not wait. Free to have bumper stickers condemning Russia for Crimea, on a car powered by Iraqi gasoline. Free to speak - speak with money. Free to watch the news and learn about the important things - What Kim Kardashian is wearing, where Kanye West’s next tour is going to be. Free to leave the minor things, the next President, wars, to the people who know what’s good for our country - the 1%. Free to worship any religion and praise the almighty god- an almighty god that we definitely don’t use to exploit you. Free to worship any authority figure you want, who is only trying to help you, and is not a tool we can use to exploit you. Free to go to work, to go back home, to watch TV, to go to sleep and start another day- going to work, going back home, watching TV and going to sleep. Free to become a working class hero - an inspiration to your co-workers. Free to shop without being judged, even blacks - blacks who have been checked by security, of course. Free to marry anybody - anybody that’s in your own race, and is of an opposite gender. Free to be a housewife, and let your husband do the stressful work. Free to be manipulated into buying beauty products. Free to be obsessed with being pretty. Free to waste your life trying to look younger.
Free to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, due to a lack of sleep starting from a young age. Free to forget all that was important to you. Free to be given up on. Free to be placed in a retirement home, where you are constantly abused. Free to die when you are 70 - A C in School terms. Free to be mourned for 2 months, and then have jokes made of you. Free to obey. After all your life, you are only free to obey.
We are not free. We are enslaved by the very things supposedly created to make us free. We let powerful men control and manipulate us. We are now shackled and our mouths are taped shut. We cannot think for ourselves and act for ourselves. But who is to blame for our lack of freedom? As Alan Moore asserted, “...if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.”

I was inspired for this article after listening to 'Working Class Hero', by John Lennon.