Too much pressure | Teen Ink

Too much pressure

By zhanser BRONZE, Billings, Montana
zhanser BRONZE, Billings, Montana

peace-unknown

With the 2014 Winter Olympics wrapped up, I thought it'd be nice to take a look back on the successful, and not so successful out comes from the American stars. There were several stories of favored veterans in the games who couldn't quite come away with the gold, or any medal for that matter. This isn't meant to be a degrading review of the athletes, just my analysis of how the stars: Shaun White, Shani Davis, and Bode Miller, failed to overcome the pressure of the Olympic Games.

Shani Davis

Shani Davis is known as one of the best speed skaters of our time. He has won two gold medals in the 1000 meter race as well as two silver medals in the 1500 meter race. All four of these medals came in the 2006 and 2010 winter Olympics. Shani Davis was a clear favorite coming into the 2014 Olympics. He was a talented skater with a lot of experience. However, to his disappointment, and as well as ours, Shani Davis crossed the finish line without a medal. Many people have diverse theories, however, I believe that he just couldn't quite keep up with the younger athletes. Eventually, age gives in.

Bode Miller

For many years, Bode Miller has been a dominant alpine skier for the U.S. Coming into the 2014 Olympics, he was one of the top competitors to take gold in his events. He had taken 6 medals in his previous Olympics. However, in the 2014 Olympic Games, Bode Miller only walked away with a Bronze medal after his six events. Like Shani Davis, I believe that age took its toll on Mr. Miller. This goes to show that the Olympics are truly made for the young athletes, and that experience doesn't relieve the pressure that comes with competing n the games.

Shaun White

Shaun White has undoubtedly been the best freestyle, and half pipe snowboarder of our time. He was one of the top competitors in the Winter X-Games for the past several years, and took gold in the half pipe at the 2006 and 2010 Winter Olympics. This year was different for the flying tomato. He cut his hair, pulled out of the this years X-Games to focus on the Olympics, and took 4th in the half pipe, his specialty. Things were looking good for White when he had the top score after the practice runs. However, after a couple slip ups on the slushy pipe, Shaun White scored a 90 out of 100, knocking him off the podium. This really shocked the world since White was the clear favorite in this event.

People have their different theories on why these great athletes didn't accomplish what they should've in Sochi. Some think it was bad snow, others think it could have been faulty gear. In my opinion, I think age got the best of them. In a lot of cases, experience is normally the upper hand. But in an event such as the Olympics, the younger athletes are the ones who walk away with the gold. I have all the respect in the world for the three great Olympians that I named above. I just believe that eventually all great athletes careers come to an end before they are willing to admit it does.

it is my opinion about the athletes of the Olympics