Miley Cyrus Steps into the Role of Feminism | Teen Ink

Miley Cyrus Steps into the Role of Feminism

By Anna Claire Sangster BRONZE, Cheboygan, Michigan
Anna Claire Sangster BRONZE, Cheboygan, Michigan

Whether you love her or you hate her, Miley Cyrus is doing her “thang” and it’s working for her. I, like many other people, love what she is doing and can't wait to see what comes next.

Any time an artist pushes the envelope she is very likely to get people who don't enjoy what she does.They consider her work disturbing and too provocative.

Miley Cyrus, once a Disney darling, captured the hearts of many young girls (me being one of them) in her in hit show Hannah Montana. It aired on March 24,2006 and after 99 episode and a Hannah Montana movie it wrapped on January 16, 2011. But now she is getting rid of Hannah Montana like last season’s Prada and bringing in the new and improved Miley Cyrus.

Any way you twist or turn it, she is living her life and is ready to be a serious artist.

Sophomore Kaycee Cheshier says, “The reason why I think most people have a problem with her is because they're expecting Hannah Montana and they can't deal with the fact that she is all grown up.”

Being a fan of Miley Cyrus from the beginning, I wanted nothing more than to see her (Hannah Montana) in concert, but I was never able to get tickets. But now on the Bangerz Tour 2014 I finally got my wish of see her, Miley Cyrus, in the flesh and watch her sing and dance. Cheshier also attended the concert and said she was beyond excited: “She was amazing live and had so much energy on stage.”

Miley Cyrus’s most infamous performance was this summer at the 2013 Video Music Awards when she was performing “We Can’t Stop” and “Blurred Lines” with Robin Thicke.

Many people were upset with Miley “twerking” on a married man. She also was in a very revealing nude colored attire. After this performance she lost many fans, yet gained even more.

I personally was surprised by the performance, but I loved how she knows what she wants and goes after it.

Cheboygan High School art teacher Sean McNeil said he is not a fan of hers by any means. “Being somebody brought up as a role model for young kids who is now supporting illegal drug use and being too provocative on and off stage is not good at all,” he explained.

I personally feel like Miley is trying to be a role model for teen girls but not many people see it that way. She said, ”I feel like I'm one of the biggest feminist in the world because I tell women not to be afraid of anything. I’m for anybody. I’m for everybody, for everything. I don’t care what you want to do in your life, or who you wanna love, or who you want to look like.”

McNeil stated, “She is making a mockery of feminism and using your body to sell music is not being a feminist.”
I feel like Miley Cyrus is a true artist and I do think she has empowered women. Is it in the same way as Beyonce, Madonna and Oprah? No, not yet. But I think she is on her way there. I feel like Miley has so many talents but people just focus on her risque outfits and performances.
After attending the Miley Cyrus concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills, I surprisingly gained so much respect for her as an artist and a person. She sang all the songs off the Bangerz album but she also did a little “ jam sesh” where she sang Coldplay, Lana Del Ray and Dolly Parton’s songs. This was my favorite part of the concert because you got to see her as a true artist.

Miley may be crazy and wacky but she knows what she wants and goes after it and that is truly inspiring.