The Concrete Jungle | Teen Ink

The Concrete Jungle

By camonoz BRONZE, Hang Dhong, Other
camonoz BRONZE, Hang Dhong, Other

It was time to board the flight that would change my life forever. I was about nine years old the first time I stepped foot outside my own country. I was not born into a family that traveled a lot. Some would probably say I had a boring child hood. It wasn't uncommon for the adults of my generation to stay put in one place, slowly digging their own rut. They were taught not to leave, to stay inside the community. This was how it was is eastern cultures. I understood this fact and didn’t question it. But the thought of experiencing new and exciting cultures always lingered in my mind. I like many other Thais have never traveled far from home.

Don’t get me wrong, I have always wanted to travel. I’ve always seen the big cities around the world as the same. Like one big ecosystem and all of them even though different are the same in that they all have factors that make them a concrete jungle. Sure many people want to travel the world and look for remote cultures that are not ravaged by globalization. But in my mind I want to experience all the different renditions of what I like to call the world culture. I visualize all the big cities in world as being one in the same. As if they somehow followed the same blueprint.

My first experience in a concrete jungle that wasn’t the one that I grew up in was when I went to Singapore. It was clean, and surprisingly loud. Not the loud of a bustling factory, more like a rhythm of a giant clock. I didn’t know that then but when I come to think of my experiences there brain tends to add senses and sounds to complete the picture. I don’t think it had anything to do with how fantastic or wonderful my vacation was that made me feel this way about big cities. But I think I was the change in scenery that made my point of view change.

I don’t see Thailand as a great big city, but it does have some big cities and I see them as the same as the big city anywhere else I the world. And for that reason I don’t see any city as better than the other. To imagine that every city in the world as the same just made it a whole lot smaller to me.

And it’s all because I had a change in what I saw. I want to travel the world and experience new places. That will always be my dream. It will always be what I really want in life. People strive for their dreams because it’s something that they can’t have. I am restricted by my current situation but travel will always be what I want to do and strive for.