A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

By alyssa colon BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
alyssa colon BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

About 78% of children around the world either get abused or neglected. How would you feel if you were getting abused by someone that you once loved but were afraid to tell because you still had hope that one day everything will change? The autobiography, “A Child Called It,” is a true story based on the author, Dave Pelzer’s, life. The message of this book is to try and stay strong through any bad situation. Even though at the beginning of David’s abuse he would cry and pray to god for everything to get better, nothing ever did. However, he then knew that the crying had to stop and he couldn't rely on anyone, because even his loved ones went against him.
Reading this book made me feel mixed emotions, at one point I felt very sad and also felt his pain through the way he described his horrible experience. At another point in the story I had no hope for him and thought he was gonna die because of all the brutal abuse he had went through. This boo “A Child Called It ” is about a young boy who had to learn how to play his mothers cruel and brutal games in order to survive, games that left him nearly dead. David’s life was hell, he slept on a old army cot in the cold moldy cellar. His clothes were all torn and dirty and he had to wear the same outfit every day for school. Food, for David, wasn't even a choice. Every evening he would have to sit and watch his siblings eat a mouth watering meal and when they were finished he would have to wash their dishes, and when his mother did give him the luxury of food it was usually old scraps from his brothers. Punishments for David were Harsh, his worst punishment was his mother made him drink a spoonful of ammonia and then locked him in the bathroom with a bucket of clorox, ammonia and other strong smelling cleaning products. Its was so bad that he would start to choke and cough up blood. On nice sunny days while David’s brothers were out and enjoying the day he would have to stay in, on his hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom tiles. In the book, David stated, “Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the dark of the soul.” David felt as if his whole life was slowly fading. If he were caught taking breaks he would get a beating and would be sent to the cellar to lay on his old army cot. Every day that David went to school he would go and see his nurse, every time he went into her office he always had a new wound, either a bruise or a cut from his mother stabbing him. After a couple of visits to the nurse’s office the police got involved and finally took David into foster care. When his mother was notified she played the sad story that she loves David dearly its just that he is a bad boy. Staring at the sky from inside the police car David whispered to himself, “One could come from less than humble beginning, to become a winner from within.” He was relieved that after ten years he has finally gotten away from the Monster.
This book made me really thankful for the mother I have, when you are in danger the first person you go to for help is your mother and it is sad to know that your mother is the one putting you in danger. I would recommend this book to someone because it is a interesting book and this book talks about a problem that not only happened to David but also is also happening to many other kids around the world.