Alphonsus | Teen Ink

Alphonsus

By Kayla2014 BRONZE, Searsport, Maine
Kayla2014 BRONZE, Searsport, Maine

7 lbs and 6 oz. The perfect baby boy. He was named Alphonsus. His cry, high pitched, but perfect. His head, slightly shadowed with dark brown hair made his hazel eyes pop out of his face like pictures in a pop-up-book.

Alphonsus was 3 days old before he got to see the trashy camper that he will eventually call home. He didn’t really cry much, but it seemed like he cried more when she wasn’t around.
It didn’t take their mother long before she was strutting around the streets again. She allowed the stitches from giving birth to heal, and then basically sold her soul to the devil… again. Her mom wasn’t really a bad looking lady. Her face was slowly sinking and starting to crumble; the after effect of being addicted to everything under the sun. She was 32, but she looked like she was turning 40.
Being the bigger sister, meant that she had more responsibility, but being the only sober one living in the camper trailer meant that she had all of the responsibilies. Eighth grade slowly became just like 7th grade. She went for a little bit, but taking care of a baby took up more time than she ever imagined.

Alphonsus is 3 months now. He is starting to roll over and pick himself up. She couldn’t believe how well he was doing. How strong and smart Alphonsus already is.

Eighth grade is over now, and Alphonsus is about to turn 7 months. His cheeks remind me of a chipmunk that has over-stuffed his mouth with acorns. His eyes, even though they were hazel, (well more of a dark brown), shined so bright. They were that lone street light that is placed poorly in the middle of a broken down back road.

Alphonsus’s sister could see the good in every bad situation. She saw an innocent little baby boy that has the ability to overcome the devilish surroundings that could possibly turn him into a lethal human being.

Since she was always home taking care of Alphonsus, her brother, and her mom worked things out with the school so she could move on to her Freshman year.

High school was going to be difficult. She wasn’t sure how she was going to raise a toddler and still pass high school. Not only is she going to have to chase Alphonsus around, but she’s going to have to take Algebra too! She was good at math, but the second the alphabet is added into it, she feels like her 7 month old brother; clueless.