Is Raw Milk Healthy For You? | Teen Ink

Is Raw Milk Healthy For You?

By Sara Sime BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Sara Sime BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Raw milk has always been considered to be the forbidden fruit of dairy products. It always has been presumed to be filled with harmful bacteria such as E. Coli for example that can cause serious illness. However its creamy, nutritious, and distinct taste has always attracted dairy consumers. It is a product that has even been sold in the black market since it has been banned from being sold in many U.S. States. While it may seem to some that raw milk is dangerous and should be banned, it is actually true that raw milk is very nutritious and helpful to the digestive system and barely causes any major illness problems.

It is true that raw milk contains more bacteria than pasteurized milk, but much of that bacteria is actually good bacteria. According to Natural News, good bacteria such as lactobacillus actually kill harmful bacteria found in raw milk. But once raw milk is pasteurized, lactobacillus is killed in the process and destroys the natural fighter against bad bacteria. Good bacteria found in raw milk can also make it possible for lactose intolerant people to digest dairy. The results of a private survey carried out in Michigan stated that 85% of those who are intolerant can drink raw milk without a problem. Enzymes that are released in the digestive tract can break proteins and turn lactose into lactic acid that makes it easier to absorb vital nutrients (Raw-Milk-Facts.com.) The bad bacteria found in raw milk are an indicator to many that the unpasteurized goodness will increase the risk of contracting a food-borne illness. Based on research of raw milk consumption from 2000-2007 by the CDC and some use of simple math, there is a 1 in 94,000 chance of becoming ill from drinking raw milk. Even though the probability is not very low, there is a 1 in 6 million chance of becoming hospitalized from drinking raw milk; so in other words very unlikely. Other foods such as seafood, poultry, and eggs have a much higher chance of contracting a food-borne illness. In a 2008 CSPI report, seafood causes 29 times more illnesses than dairy. Dairy should be the least of your concern.

Children who consume raw milk have a higher risk of illness because they are more vulnerable to bacteria since their bodies are still developing. Old people also have a higher risk since their immune system is deteriorating due to age. However, raw milk has also been known to improve the digestive ecosystem and immune system thanks to its colonies of good bacteria.

The health benefits of raw milk are numerous if the source of raw milk comes from grass-fed cows. CLA, short for conjugated linoleic acid, is abundant in milk from grass-fed cows, according to Raw-Milk-Facts.com. This fatty acid raises metabolic rate, helps remove abdominal fat, boosts muscle growth, reduces resistance to insulin, strengthens the immune system, and lowers food allergy reactions. Grain-fed cows have less CLA than grass-fed cows. In fact, grass-fed cows have three to five times more CLA than grain-fed cows. The type of grass that is given to these cows also affect the health benefits of raw milk. The more organic the grass is, the more beneficial the milk is.

Don’t overlook the other possible sources for raw milk too. In the other parts of the world, goat milk is the most highly consumed milk. It only takes 20 minutes to be digested and is a natural food and is very similar to human milk, making it easy for children and adults who are sensitive to cow or any other types of milk to comfortably consume it (Natural News.) Camel milk is also gaining popularity in the U.S. for its nutritious contents and unique taste. It can be found in Amish farms in Ohio and Pennsylvania (Munchies.vice.com.)

Raw milk also doesn’t go bad like pasteurized milk does. After about a week, raw milk starts to turn sour, but it still can be consumed. Raw milk often turns into yogurt and sour cream, which both have an extended shelf life. Yogurt is commonly considered to be very healthy for the digestive system. You could also use the spoiled milk for cream cheese, kefir, and other things. Pasteurized milk goes putrid and has to be thrown away.

In general, raw milk is very healthy for the body. Its abundance of nutrients and probiotics improves many body illnesses such as cardiovascular diseases, anemia, and hypertension (Realmilk.com). The ultimate whole milk doesn’t cause many food-borne illnesses as it is thought to have and can actually improve the functions of the digestive and immune systems. Raw milk has been ridiculed far too much by the sickness industry over certain things that occur in all whole foods such as meats and vegetables. Just across the Atlantic Ocean, countries in Europe have raw milk vending machines! Raw milk should have a place in the refrigerator next to the apple juice and string cheese packets. Raw milk shouldn’t be banned since it is a super food that needs to be consumed more often to live a healthy and unprocessed lifestyle.