Animal Testing | Teen Ink

Animal Testing

By Jozilla BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Jozilla BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Animal Testing Argument
Ever since the first developed treatment that saved a person’s life, animal testing has been used to contribute to many life-saving cures. A very famous case of medicine saving one’s life is of one named Earvin “Magic” Johnson. Mr. Johnson is a Hall of Famer basketball player. Mr. Johnson, after he retired, released that he has HIV. Suspected to be with infected by AIDS, Magic Johnson has fought through and actually slowed down the effect of HIV so much that it cannot be detected. Mr. Johnson would not be here today if it were not for medication he takes. In addition the medication he takes was tested on animals before human trials. He is not the only on to survive HIV as long as he has, this comes to say that without animal testing many lives would be lost to disease every year. While it may seem to some that animal testing is cruel and inhumane, it is true that animal testing has helped our live substantially because it saves many humans from disease, improving the length of life.

One can argue that animal testing is unfair to animals involved in these tests. Some tests for cures and new treatments end up permanently scaring animals, leaving some bind and mentally scared. Some can also say that it is not a reliable method to predict results on humans, and new technology makes animal testing unnecessary. With new testing methods, you can suppose that the effects of the new treatment or drug would be pre-determined without any tests on living organisms. Another problem would be that much of the money used is wasted on the animals for the testing and on the inconclusive evidence. With of these saddening factors of animal testing, there could not be any good right? Well you would be surprised.

Nevertheless, animal research is an enormous contribution in science today. Without animal tests there would be a massive difference in our world today. There are many reasons to why animal research is so essential. First, there is no alternate testing that deals with a whole, living body organism. This means that any other testing methods, like using a petri dish , would not show any deadly effects that could hurt the consumer. The human body is too complex to have a dish tell us that a drug is safe or not. Also, animals do not have rights, making it acceptable to research on them. If animals were given rights, humans would have to change their diets and become vegetarians, and the popular sport of hunting would be outlawed (Tibor R. Machan, New York Times). Without animal research there would be a big absence in medical development. Another point to consider is that scientists treat animals as humanly as possible. This is to contribute to better test results and for the animals’ life. Scientists are not intentionally hurting animals, but with trial and error something’s do happen. But it is for the greater good for the human life. A more recent study in animal research form Americans for Medical Process says “Animals research plays a crucial role in scientists’ understanding of diseases and in the development of effective medical treatments.” Animal research has even lead to the decline in death rates from heart disease in the United States (American Heart Association).

Even more important, animals are actually more related to humans than most people think. For example, mice are 98% alike in humans DNA, genetic instructions in every living organism, and chimps are 99% alike (The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada). With this information the animals will have similar conditions to many serious diseases, such as heart disease. Tests will show similar side-effects on a human from an animal such as a chimp. A major fact from animal testing is that all major treatments and cures such as; antibiotics, penicillin, anti-venoms, pain killers, insulin injections, heart medication, and so many more, all came from animal research to help with human issues (Americans for Medical Progress). A very good point was made by William T. Talman of the University of Iowa, he said, “Consider that the past 40 years only one Nobel Prize in physiology and medicine did not depend on animal research.” (William T. Talman, MD). He also goes into detail on people that want to outlaw animal testing. He tells that the consequences would be a terrible direction for the world. The point is that we depend on animal research just as much as scientist do, without even knowing it. Most of us on this world today have been helped by a medication that had been used in animal research before it was used on humans.

Furthermore, it is very important to have animal research. We need to realize how it helps out life to a large extent. For every issue with animal testing there is a positive outcome that over powers it. Without animal testing many people would not live to see their 50’s. It is essential that we continue to use animal research in our life. Without it we would not be where we are today.