The Video Game Controversy | Teen Ink

The Video Game Controversy

Since the late 1940s, video games have captured the attention of millions. Starting with simplistic games like Pong, video games have gradually grown more realistic, up to the point that they look exactly like real life, so much so that you can forget you’re playing a game. These hyper-realistic games are also well known for their ability to help relax the stressed mind, as well as for providing a fun way to exercise, with the Xbox Kinect and the Wii. Students have also been shown to learn better through video games than through textbooks. However, these hyper-realistic games often involve violence and explicit themes. This brings on the question of whether or not these games have desensitized the youth to violence, especially since these games are controlled by the player. This has led to an increase in aggression after these games are played. It has also been found that simulators have been found on terrorist hijackers computers, which could help these terrorists commit heinous crimes. These games can also lead to personal injury and obesity. However, video games are certainly more beneficial to today’s youth than harmful.

Video games have enthralled students attention for years, with a prime example being Apple’s “Lemonade Stand”, which teaches about basic business and economics. With many more games to help students with their studies, more and more schools are turning towards a technological curriculum, rather than a text based curriculum. The space program simulator, “Kerbal Space Program”, is an extremely advanced program, which enables anyone to create their own space program and send rockets to other planets. This simulator is so accurate and popular, most of NASA’s employee’s play it. NASA has even collaborated with “Kerbal Space Program”’s developers to add an asteroid redirection mission, in order to raise awareness of a mission in the near future. With accurate mathematical calculations used throughout the game, this simulator enables anyone with access to a computer with the ability to learn advanced physics and astrology.

Exercise is hard, and oftentimes dull as a rock. However, with today’s technology and virtual reality, anyone can have access to an entertaining way to spend their time getting fit. With electronics like the Xbox Kinect, and the Wii, you can do yoga, go for a jog, play tennis, and do much more, all without having to leave the house or paying for an expensive class. You can even have your own virtual personal trainer. Because of this, you can achieve your goal of being fit, even if you never leave your home. This way, even the most paranoid and antisocial of people can enjoy the benefits of being fit and healthy.

In the modern day, there are many, relaxing, therapeutic games, such as games like “Nintendogs”. This game is about taking care of a group of puppies, giving them baths, going for walks, and playing in the park. The very act of being around puppies is helpful to the psyche, and can relieve a great deal of stress. With this simple game, a tired, overworked employee can alleviate a great deal of stress.

Although studies show that violent video games cause a rise in aggression, these findings do not stand out from the many other things that raise aggression, such as children’s cartoons such as “Tom and Jerry”, violent phrases from the Bible, or a patriotic speech. The fact is, although violent video games raise aggression, they do not ostensibly do so, and they have no proven link to violent crimes. Many of the tests done to see the raise in aggression are done using surveys, and only some people reported engaging in aggressive behavior.

Whilst simulators can help terrorists in training, they also help the average person as well. Whether it is for pleasure or to help in studying for a pilot’s license, these simulators help the community by providing ways to train towards a profession or by providing an enjoyable experience to their consumers. While the creation of the simulators may involve the risk of them being sold to a terrorist to be, the benefits of gaining new future pilots outweighs the danger.

Obesity has become a huge problem in American society, with over 30% of American adults with this disease. This is partially due to excessive use of video games. However, the blame lies upon the user, not the video games, as the player should know to play in moderation, and exercise to nullify the bad effects of sitting around all day. The risk of personal injury, such as tendonitis and postural disorders, come from incorrect positioning of the body whilst playing games. These serious problems are all avoidable if one takes the necessary precautions prior to playing the games.

Video games are more beneficial to today’s youth than not. Although they can help cause obesity and skeletal disorders, these are all avoidable, and the risk of a terrorist learning how to fly a hijacked plane is incredibly small, and the increase in aggression is the equivalent of watching Tom and Jerry. The ability to relax using therapeutic games can greatly help overworked employees. Students can learn much more easily through a video game rather than through a textbook, and there are many entertaining ways to exercise through the Xbox Kinect. Video games can help the average person in many ways, be it by entertaining them, or by keeping them fit.