The Moon | Teen Ink

The Moon

By thea.c.moon BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
thea.c.moon BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts

The morning mist envelops the land and flows over like ocean waves. My feet glide through the cool grass. As the world wakes, and the sun rises, I remember. My home away from home is my grandparents house. There home rests on the edge of a six acre field, in the middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania. The air is crispy, the trees are strong, and it is home.
The house was built by my grandparent in the sixties. The house is squished in between two hills like a hot dog. It was like the hill was carved out just for their house. The perfect white exterior looks movie worthy. As you walk in you are welcomed by old memories. Playing ping pong in the foyer. Baking cream pie in the kitchen. Every inch has a story. A you walk up the stairs the smells of the kitchen surround you. Soups and cookies. The smell lingers through through house like a maze into the living room. My feet sink deep into the cotton candy carpet. Panoramic windows open you to the vast land outside. My favorite room in the whole house is my dads room. My dad was the only boy so he got his room. Now I’m the only girl so when we visit I get his room all to myself. The ruby red floors take me to a wonderland. Its a place where I can escape and forget. When I’m there nothing matters. Its where I am comfortable. Where I’m safe.
My grandparents property holds plants and animals and secrets. In the winter snow lays on the ground and become sleek and smooth. The perfect place to sled. The perfect place for adventure. In the garden there is something growing for everyone. From tomatoes to blueberries everyone is satisfied. It gives not just food, but happiness. Summertime was always spent in the garden. The best and the worst part is the creek. Every year they have to be cleaned out. But once thats done the flow of the creek becomes mesmerizing. The trickle over rocks. The slow, effortless fish. It was perfect.
This is what I imagine heaven to be like. It is so pure and so absolute. I wouldn't want to change anything about it. The memories made there are some of my best. The day I can't go back will be the worst day. I could never in a million years dream up a place better than this.