The Dreadful Phrase "We Can Still Be Friends" | Teen Ink

The Dreadful Phrase "We Can Still Be Friends"

By CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky
CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky

" When you Grow Up, Your Heart Dies."- Ally Sheedy ( The Breakfast Club, 1985)

“And in the end, we were all just humans.. drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.”

"Groovy Like a Drive In movie"

We have all heard it, most of us have probably even said it a few times. The words "We can still be friends" is both a blessing and a curse all in one sentence. These words are commonly said as "Comforting." as a way of trying to make the process of breaking up "Easier." Sometimes it works, but In many cases these words just prove to make breaking up even more difficult.

Trying to stay friends with an ex is extremely hard, because there is always going to be a past between the two of you. This means you might be dealing with some Post-Breakup emotions like; Jealously, Hateful feelings, or even some relationship like feelings.

All of these emotions are extremely annoying and awkward, especially when you're trying to start dating again. Your "Friend" might become hard to deal with, they might start showing jealously or even go as far as trying to make sure you don't really connect with anyone you date.
Which proves that they still harbor feelings somewhere inside.

So maybe its better just to end that chapter of your life, and start a new one. It's honestly just the easiest way. Because most of the time these "Friendships" wont work out anyway due too one persons lingering emotions and awkward behavior.

Needless to say, Exes and Friendships don't mix.