Is the U.S. Constitution Still Relevant? | Teen Ink

Is the U.S. Constitution Still Relevant?

By RayneH. SILVER, Columbus, Ohio
RayneH. SILVER, Columbus, Ohio

"Your life isn't about you; it's about what you do with it."

The American lifestyle has changed dramatically over the last few centuries. There were many great American figures and inventions that helped shape these changes. But the most relevant part of history to the United States is the Constitution.

Back in 1788, when the Constitution was created, Americans didn't worry about women's rights, minors possessing illegal drugs, or gay marriage because these issues weren't a concern at the time. The delegates understood that the United States was a young and growing nation and that new problems would arise as the nation developed. The delegates also understood that the current issue of taxes would not remain a problem forever. James Madison said “In framing a system which we wish to last for ages, we should not lose sight of the changes which ages will produce.” So as to create a system that we could expand to accommodate a growing future, the framers gave the people the right to adjust the rules as the nation changed. If the Constitution was made only concerning the present issues then there would have to be a Constitutional Convention every few decades and the constitution would have to be rewritten and revised each time. All that would be unnecessary if the first time it was written to solidify any future problems.

The constitution is mainly divided into two parts; the Bill of Rights (also known as the amendments) and the governmental structure. The amendments are statements that define the protection and freedoms a citizen has from the government. Because the original ten amendments were fairly basic and inclusive, only 27 amendments have been added to the Constitution out of the thousands that were proposed, thus, invoking the freedom to adjust it. Our founding fathers wanted America to be a place of freedom, and the framers to that to heart when writing the Bill of Rights. Over the centuries, the Bill of Rights has kept American citizens liberated and it still does now.

The governmental structure explains how the government is split into three branches; the legislative branch, the executive branch, and the judicial branch. Each branch has a certain amount of power over the other so that no one branch can become too powerful. This plan was created by James Madison and it display his wisdom in how it is the same procedure our government follows today.

The Constitution is the guidelines that the moral of our country was founded upon. It sets the boundaries for what the government can and can't control, and it sets the standards of freedom for the citizens. The Constitution is currently the highest law in the country being that it prevents the government from becoming too powerful, thus, securing the people a voice. So, in the question “Is the U.S. Constitution still relevant?”, considering all that it has changed for the better, it may be one of the most relevant pieces of American history today.

I was doing my American History homework when this question struck me. Hopefully this will get you thinking about the U.S. Constitution.