How Politicians Deny Science | Teen Ink

How Politicians Deny Science

Our Founding Fathers built our wonderful country around the principles of science. Thomas Jefferson had three scientific idols: Isaac Newton, Francis Bacon, and John Locke. Jefferson himself hypothesized that if through the use of logic and science anyone can discover the truth, then no one is any closer to the truth than anyone else, and that leaders could not force their beliefs onto a compliant population.

Nowadays, however, nothing could be farther from the truth. Politicians are denying inconvenient scientific truths in order to further there careers, and antiscience statements have been shown to further their standings in polls. The great Mitt Romney, conservative hero, said in October 2011, "My view is that we don't know what's causing climate change on this planet, and the idea of spending trillions and trillions of dollars to try and reduce [Carbon Dioxide] emissions is not the right course for us." All this was stole with characteristic conviction, and in spite of the fact that billions of studies that global warming is and imminent and obvious problem. In June of the same year Romney had expressed opposite sentiments, leading to harsh criticism, including predictions of a lost presidential nomination due to the expressing of a true scientific fact. Jon Huntsman, said in an interview when asked about antiscience ideals in the Republican Party that in order "for the Republican Party to win, we can't run from science." Huntsman, the only actively pro-science Republican candidate, finished dead last in the polls.

The origins of scientific denialism can be dated back to a century ago, when William Jennings ran for president with the idea that Darwinian Evolution caused moral decay in children because it's idea challenged the Bible. These antiscience ideas do nothing more than show the ignorance of our demagogues masquerading as politicians. The majority of our national economy and very reason our government is sustained is due to scientific and technological advances that have occurred in the last century. Despite this obvious fact, Democrats still claim that cell phones cause brain cancer, despite the fact that high school physics proves it's impossibility. Democrats also steadfastly maintain that vaccines cause autism and we should not have federally mandated vaccines that eliminate the primary cause of cervical cancer

Obviously, these claims are false, and politicians are either grievously misinformed, or pander to the blindly fickle public. No matter which is true, it is necessary to correct these errors and hope that politicians will not continue to deny all error on their part. I hope that there will be a day in which science can be embraced and not feared by the general public.

Politicians deny science in order to agree with an uneducated public. Educate yourself!