Dystopian Dream | Teen Ink

Dystopian Dream

By ak1202 BRONZE, Dublin, Ohio
ak1202 BRONZE, Dublin, Ohio

Clear eyes, full hearts. Can't lose!

When the word “utopia” comes to mind I see visions of tall silver buildings caressing the skyline with jaunty people at the root of every building. Each and every one of the people would be conversing and hugging and most importantly, smiling with every muscle in their prepossessing bodies. Not a single person would know hunger or heartbreak and every person would know love and happiness.

But how would that work? If no person was poor, nobody could be rich either. If everyone had a job they loved who would take the jobs nobody wanted? The word “utopia” isn’t in fact a real thing, only a mere dream or place of hope for those who have lost it. It is human nature to be greedy, to want to be the best. Not even the most righteous human could avoid greed, temptation, anger or sadness in order to reach a full utopia. Humans are hardwired to live in a complete dystopia and in most cases we are the ones who push the world further away from utopia. We begin wars and we lie and we cheat and steal. We hurt one another for our gain out of greed or spite and we are consumed by time and money. No human lives without these traits because the nauseating traits that we all possess are what help us get through life in our tiny dystopia.