Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Dreams This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Katryna S., San Pablo, CA

I feel his hand on my shoulder. It is cold, bony, and scrapes against my skin. It doesn’t sting too badly. Pain doesn’t cause discomfort for me - it’s like a Popsicle - strong at first, but after awhile, it melts away. He tells me something, the man behind me. I don’t hear him at first, and that makes him angry. He grips my shoulder tighter.

Now there is pain, pain like grabbing a wire hanger that is left beside a fire, yet I ignore it. He knows I am here, I know I am here, but for some reason, I feel if I don’t acknowledge it. If I ignore what is happening, we will both remain suspended. The two of us will stay lost in this never-ending scene, and I will never die.

The knife enters me anyway.

I feel it; I’m not quite numb yet.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

35 comment(s)
Wow. That was intense. What an incredible story. The plot, the twists...it was thrilling to read. I enjoyed every word of it. I was hooked beyond belief and my mom is yelling at me like crazy now to go do the dishes...but really. Great job! Keep writing, I can't wait to read more of your work.
Jul. 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM • Report
Loved this!!!!
May. 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM • Report
Apr. 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM • Report
That is really good!
Apr. 02, 2015 at 2:33 PM • Report
Well done! You did a good job of making the readers feel sympathy for the main character. :D
Jan. 04, 2015 at 5:00 PM • Report
I found myself cpativated beyond belief. This is both sinister and thrilling at the same time, and how he gets hit by a truck in the end. It pratically says BAM! Good job.
Nov. 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM • Report
WOW... is all i can say. I actually don't read too much, just trying to get some in before my Leaving Cert, but I read that I'd say about 12 times.. Seriously that was dark, captivating and you just get sucked in and lost in his thoughts too.. Well done and sriously WOW
May. 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM • Report
I had to read it a couple times to really *get* it. That's a good thing, you know. Not everything should come easy. Not my usual genre, but GREAT writing and style.  One note of critism: I, too, imagined the main character as a girl. Perhaps change some pronouns around?
Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM • Report
I don't think it's the pronouns. I think it's the accompanying picture that gives this impression. We subconciously think of it as a representation of the man character.
Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM • Report
Nice job! I liked it a lot; it pulled me in.
Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM • Report