Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Dreams This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

I feel his hand on my shoulder. It is cold, bony, and scrapes against my skin. It doesn’t sting too badly. Pain doesn’t cause discomfort for me - it’s like a Popsicle - strong at first, but after awhile, it melts away. He tells me something, the man behind me. I don’t hear him at first, and that makes him angry. He grips my shoulder tighter.

Now there is pain, pain like grabbing a wire hanger that is left beside a fire, yet I ignore it. He knows I am here, I know I am here, but for some reason, I feel if I don’t acknowledge it. If I ignore what is happening, we will both remain suspended. The two of us will stay lost in this never-ending scene, and I will never die.

The knife enters me anyway.

I feel it; I’m not quite numb yet.

Page 1 of 7

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

40 comment(s)
Brian110
Wow this is a fantastic story, usually when reading other stories I get bored and don't even finish them. But this one had me reading it like it was a chapter from a award wining novel. way better than my own writing.
Nov. 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM • Report
sabbylynn
That was intense I love this it kept me wanting to keep reading love it keep it up
Jun. 02, 2016 at 6:10 PM • Report
E.Inis
Wow, what a dark, powerful ending.
May. 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM • Report
percy14
This is really good!!!
Jan. 13, 2016 at 5:19 AM • Report
LaiSar
That was incredible! Awesome job. I couldn't stop reading it! Keep up the good work.
Oct. 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM • Report
PianoKeys97
Wow. That was intense. What an incredible story. The plot, the twists...it was thrilling to read. I enjoyed every word of it. I was hooked beyond belief and my mom is yelling at me like crazy now to go do the dishes...but really. Great job! Keep writing, I can't wait to read more of your work.
Jul. 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM • Report
katieb0646
Loved this!!!!
May. 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM • Report
passion_poet19
I REALLLLLLY LOVED THIS POEM.
Apr. 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM • Report
NatalieMcG
That is really good!
Apr. 02, 2015 at 2:33 PM • Report
The_Edge
Well done! You did a good job of making the readers feel sympathy for the main character. :D
Jan. 04, 2015 at 5:00 PM • Report
Close