Man's Reign Over Women | Teen Ink

Man's Reign Over Women

By poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California
poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California

"Thats the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."

As an American I can say that I have just as many rights as any other man in this unified and just nation. All the women here can vote, have jobs, be independent and make their own choices. Have you ever thought about the rest of the world? There are still many places around the globe where women are not treated fairly or as equals. I personally think that it is absolutely demonic to treat women the way they do in a few specific places of the Middle East.

I am not saying every woman in the Middle East is treated this way but the majority of the people there follow the Quran to a tee. (The Quran is a bible of sorts for the Muslim people.) There are so many rules in the book that are demeaning to women. One of the more blatantly stated rules is that “Husbands are a degree above their wives.” That rule to me is extremely rude and not up to date with the time period. The Quran was written long ago and in my mind, and others’, it is time to change the rules to be more fair and fitting of the 21st century.

Another such statement in the Quran is that women are evil and that they are the major inhabitants of hell. Muhammad supports this claim in the holy text by saying that women are “harsh and unappreciative of their husbands.” I do not know how one can come up with such a general impression of all women, without having any logical, legitimate, proof whatsoever.

Yet another absolutely inhumane rule is that men are allowed to marry girls that are not yet mature. I have no offence towards Muslims and their god, Allah, but how did they come up with this rule. It sickens me to think that somewhere in the world there is an 11 year old girl that is married to a 40 year old man. That is clearly ridiculous and disturbing; those poor little girls must be scarred for life. That’s not even the worst of it, if a man is even suspecting that his wife will disobey him, he can physically punish her. Even if she has done everything the way he has asked, she can still be beaten bloody for no apparent reason.

Even though the world and its people are growing in age, these absurd rules seem to never be revised or changed. I think it is time for the Muslims to correct and improve these preposterous laws of the Quran.

I have no hatred towards muslims, and do not wish to offend anyone. I simply believe that the rules and beliefs related to women should evolve to match the 21st century.