The Magician's Stone chp. 2 | Teen Ink

The Magician's Stone chp. 2

By dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

If things are not going right... Go left.

Frageus stomped down the stairs, part of his crimson robes dragging on the steps. He was tall, overlooking the top of people’s heads. His hair and beard were wild and tangled. He walked around the corner and nearly knocked over a servant. The servant jumped back and bowed down, knees quivering. Frageus narrowed his eyes and walked away.

Frageus stepped into the dining room. Hazy, maroon curtains draped over the windows, with furniture made of redwood sitting in the center and along the wall. Beams of red sunlight illuminated the room, the air seeming to glow.

Pacing in front of the window, Frageus looked through the glass. Underneath the orange sky, the royal castle sat at the tip of the Fire Bay Peninsula, a steep cliff driving from the foot of the stone walls straight into the sea of blood-red water. Frageus glanced back at the clock, and his stomach growled.

Frageus charged into the kitchen, the door swinging open and rattling the dishes. “Hey! What are yeh doin’? I’m starving!” Frageus yelled in his raspy, deep voice.

“Making breakfast, Your Majesty.” The chef with a red ribbon around his neck answered, shivering. The cooks were inching backwards, pressed against the wall, the unattended stoves sizzling and the smell of overcooked eggs filling the room.

“Hurry up then, yeh turtle! I’ll throw you into the dungeons if I don’t see food in five minutes!” Frageus patted his stomach, and walked out.

“Right away,” the cooks muttered, rushing back towards the stoves.

Frageus spun around, his eyes gleaming and his nostrils flaring. “Yeh have to say ‘Your Majesty’!” Frageus pounded the door with the side of his fist, and the cooks stumbled on their feet.

“Sorry, Your Majesty,” the chef muttered. All of the cooks stood up, patting the flour and egg shells off their white aprons.

Frageus watched them cook with their heads lowered to their chest, their hands frantically searching for dressings and sauces. He nodded, “That’s a bi’ bett…”

“Excuse me, sir?”

“Shut yer mouth! I don’t wanna smell your stinky breath!” Frageus spun around and found himself screaming at one of his subordinates. The agent’s teeth chattered, his hands flying up to cover his ears. Behind him, the cooks took a deep breath, peering at the man.

“S-s-sorry to disturb you, Your Majesty, b-but I have some reports from the Water Island Kingdom.” the subordinate said, regaining his balance and studying his own feet.

“Read it aloud, then!” Frageus said, stomping his feet impatiently. He watched the man fumble through his own pockets and bag, until he pulled out a sheet with tightly scribbled handwriting.

The subordinate held out the roll of parchment, his hands shaking. “Ac-cording to our observations, King Odysseus of Water Island is sending his army up north. They are currently traveling to the mainland through the Island Strait. His motives are not yet certain…”

“Gim’ me a break! Are yeh one-hundred percent sure abou’ this information?”

“A hundred percent sure, Your Majesty.”

Why would Odysseus send his army up north? Is he trying to gain more land? Frageus tapped his fingers on the wall, his eyes narrowing.

Another agent wearing the same uniform rushed by, halting in front of Frageus. The king glared at him, and the second man muttered, “I have updated information.” He twiddled his thumbs, while his companion scrambled away.

The man gulped as he glanced at Frageus’ bloodshot eyes, and continued, “We have recently discovered that, uh… That Odysseus is leading the march of his army. So far, their travel routes have not changed, but—”

“Stop, stop… STOP!” barked Frageus. His eyes were as round as golf balls. “You can leave.” He added.

The agent nodded quickly and ran away without looking back. He tripped on his feet and stumbled down the stair steps.

“No way,” Frageus told himself. “First they said Odysseus is sending troops up north. Now, Odysseus is actually leading the troops. What in the world could be so important that the king has to lead the troops?” Frageus banged his head and scratched his hair, feeling as if a swarm of bees had crawled through his ears.

I was inspired to write this story after reading several other novels and series, including Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences