Scoping Out University | Teen Ink

Scoping Out University

It’s 6am on a Saturday and yet you find yourself stumbling out of bed, pulling on your best ‘I’m not trying too hard’ outfit whilst half-heartedly shouting at your parents to wake up. That’s right, university open days are here. Whether you’re hoping to leave for your course next year or at a later date; open days are an almost unavoidable task set to give you a feel for a real hardworking environment. Say goodbye to sleep and hello to your future…Exciting right?

On a serious note, university open days are a great way to get a feel for the place you’re hoping to spend three (or more) years studying at. They’re free, they’re informative, and let’s face it; there’s no point applying for a university where all you know is that it does your course and is a location you consider somewhat desirable.

There’s a lot besides the academic prospects to consider when going away to university: accommodation, finance, nightlife and social clubs are all on a long list of things to look into, so what better place than the university itself? Besides talks on your subject area, attending accommodation and campus talks can really open your eyes as to whether or not somewhere is right for you...You want to be able to call this place 'home' afterall. Additionally, many universities will offer designated presentations on various aspects of student life which can help to relieve you of the many questions you’re sure to have about living away or studying away from home for the first time.

Don’t leave it until it’s too late, take control of your future, you won’t miss those extra few hours in bed when you’re happy and comfortable with a university you know inside and out. You may even enjoy yourself!

In the UK, open days can be a stressful time for 16-18 year olds. Speaking from experience, I know how nervous I was when I first attended an open day and so I feel it's important to remember the benefits of putting yourself out there.