Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan | Teen Ink

Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

By Jamie Kramer BRONZE, New York, New York
Jamie Kramer BRONZE, New York, New York

Susannah Cahalan intricately weaves together a powerful memoir about her struggle to recapture her identity after it’s stolen by an extremely rare disease, to form Brain On Fire. In her memoir, she goes back into those missing months of her life, to try and explain to the world, her battle with this mysterious illness. It’s a heart wrenching book about perseverance, love, hope, and finding yourself in trying times. Cahalan went through an experience like no other, yet somehow found a way to come out a winner. No matter what kind of genre you’re interested in, Brain on Fire wraps it all into one astounding package that will trigger tears, anxiety, hope, and resounding joy.

Imagine losing your identity, your entire being, then who are you? Reading this book is an eye opening experience as to how easily things can go from perfect to disastrous. In my opinion, Brain on Fire is an epic retelling of Cahalan’s “month of madness,” in which Cahalan describes just that, and which plays with many emotions never thought about, and situations that you wouldn’t even think of in your wildest dreams. During the course of the story, there are many characters who stay with Susannah for the long haul such as her supportive father, brave step mother, Giselle, caring step father, Allen, determined mother, and loving boyfriend, Stephen, who acted as comfort for each other, and Susannah, when the going got tough. However, the strongest character out of all of them is Susannah, who fought her way back from losing her identity, to being her old self with some modifications. It’s an emotional ride featuring pain, loss, perseverance, love, and triumph which I strongly suggest picking up a copy of.

In Susannah Cahalan’s first book, she implements many of the skills you use when writing an article, which is what she actually does for a living as an investigative reporter for the New York Times. Her use of advanced descriptive language, excellent vocabulary, and pointful tone, make for an intriguing read. Not only does her form of writing make you connect and feel for the characters, but it also helps you understand part of what she was going through in those horrible months. If you like books that will make you want to hug all your loved ones, Calahan’s masterpiece and exquisite style will ensure that you do just that. On the other hand, she lacked in fully describing what was going on in a way that made sense, especially when talking about the medical aspect. I found myself googling prognoses and diagnoses, just so I could figure out what Cahalan was talking about during the course of the book. However, all in all, the author did an incredible job of showing just how sincere, and how much of a struggle it was, to get back to “normal.”

The recurring theme, perseverance, is a crucial part of Brain on Fire. Once Susannah is admitted into the hospital, each member of her immediate family, and her boyfriend, step up to be “a rock” for one another. With each other’s support, they are all able to hold on to hope that one day Susannah will return to her former self. They confer with every specialist in the country and do everything they can to find a cure to an unidentifiable disease. Out of everyone they spoke to, only one particular doctor never doubted, not even for a second, that a cure wouldn’t be found. Utilizing everything in his power, he was able to find salvation for Susannah’s family, and eventually for her.

From sixteen to eighty, and even beyond, people of all ages will love Susannah Cahalan’s, Brain on Fire. It amazed me how an author could mold so many messages into one book, but that’s what made it an especially worthwhile read. I fell in love with the characters, I teared up during the beginning, and I full out cried when it ended. This remarkable true story captures the utter feeling of hopelessness and puts it into words for all to feel, then goes on and magnifies it by ten. I never knew what a struggle recapturing yourself could be, but not a day goes by where I’m not thankful for everything I have, thanks to this book. I can’t explain what this book will make you feel, only you can realize that for yourself. All I can say, is that if you don’t go out and purchase this book right now, you’re making a big mistake.

Ever since I read this book over the summer, I knew I had to spread the word about what a powerful read this was. It's the incredible retelling of an amazing journey one woman took to become herself again. It's a remarkable book that should be shared with everyone.