Atheism and God | Teen Ink

Atheism and God

By atheistfeminist5601 BRONZE, Bethel, Connecticut
atheistfeminist5601 BRONZE, Bethel, Connecticut

“Kids are never the problem. They are born scientists. The problem is always the adults. They beat the curiosity out of kids. They outnumber kids. They vote. They wield resources. That's why my public focus is primarily adults.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

What is God? To the homosexual, it is the voice telling them, “No, you can’t.” To a woman, it is fear and unjust treatment. To the children, it is the parent, driving them down the path already carved by politicians, priests, parents, and ancestors instead of forcing their own. To the rape victim, it is the graveyard of trust in their womb, unable to be removed, for fear of being shamed or even killed. God to an atheist is the blatant disregard to science and facts. Hell to me is nothing more than an exclamation of disbelief.

Just yesterday I saw several stickers expressing disgust for people like me, reading “America is freedom of religion, not from it.” Those stickers left an empty feeling in my stomach, leaving my faith in humanity to be run over by a parent shuttling their children from Walmart to soccer practice.

Our world is tiny. We are but a single grain of sand in the ocean of our universe. To think that we, a mere speck on the map, an insignificant dust particle in the wind, have everything figured out is incredibly vain, in the words of Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Even if we did, why stop questioning? Why settle for one theory, rather than explore and wonder why? The fact that even after being proven, theories like the big bang are still disregarded as guesses to the church.

This is my opinion on religion. Disagree with me in the comments. I love a good discussion.

EscapeRope said...
EscapeRope, Cavite, Other
"Truth is, no one can prove the big bang happened or that the earth is billions of years old." Truth is, there actually is, and they are rather "are". There are plenty evidences that support the Big Bang - ex. Redshift of Galaxies, Microwave Background, Mixture of elements (National School's Observatory) - and that earth is billions of years old - one principal evidence is the oldest rocks found on earth (3.7 - 3.8 billion years of age) and other studies based on radiometric age dating method. Just can't name them all.

chari GOLD said...
chari GOLD, Saint Charles, Illinois

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -Mother Teresa

You most definitely have a right to your opinion, but I would choose to disagree (which you did challenge commenter to do). For starters, I believe God is love. He doesn't tell us "no, you can't". Instead, he says "you are forgiven." A common misconception is that to be a Christian you have to follow a buch of rules, but God doesn't require that from us. He just wants us to accept him, and his salvation for death. He honestly does want the best for us. However, he is clear about what is sin and what isn't, but no matter what you do, he is willing to forgive. He does not love homosexuals any less. BUT, just like any other sin (which we are all guilty of), he cannot tolerate it. Sin can literally not be present before God. So that's why Jesus died and resurrected, carrying the sin of the world on his shoulders. By accepting his grace, we are free. But on a different note, the Bible does support a lot of scientic evidence. Sure, I know a lot of people disagree with the whole "creationism" thing. Truth is, no one can prove the big bang happened or that the earth is billions of years old. We can guess, but there is enough evidence that it could have gone either way. And, some Christians even believe the Big Bang to be started by God when he said "Let there be light." But, really, who can know? Lastly, even when a person does believe in God, that still doesn't give them all the answers to the universe! There is still plenty to ponder and explore. I think God wants us to use our intellect in that way. What changes, though, is that we have a sense of purpose and can honestly believe that we are here for a reason.

FateRunner BRONZE, San Jose, California
As an atheist I have to say i really agree with you. Religion has caused so many wars, so much pain and so much greif. It has kept people denying facts (Sun being the center of the solar system, big bang in cosmic miccrowave background, evolution,ect.) And yet people waste so much time on it. They hate atheists, fight with other religions, and deny the rational. I think I'm a happy atheist.

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

I like this. I can't say that I agree with all of it. I'm not sure what some parts that I agree with, since I sincerely believe in God. But there are some parts that I like. I guess I kind of want to disagree, that I don't That God to a woman is fear and unjust treatment. Maybe to some, but not all women. This is well-written. It has a lot of thought and you were honest in it, which I like. You really have a lot of talent and greatnes in you. Thank you for sharing this!