Skeletons in the Closet | Teen Ink

Skeletons in the Closet

By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida

I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~

I am not stupid because I know that I get judged left and right. I cannot please everyone, but than again that’s not what my purpose is in life. The only person I intend to please is myself. For people have judged me all my life, and that’s my worst fear. Being judged.

You are told growing up all your, “life don’t let others get to you,” but do we really practice what we preach? You see, we are all good lawyers for our own mistakes, but very good judges for the mistakes of others. Judgment is something no one can really overcome and accept it because deep down inside we do care what others think about us, in spite of what everyone says. However, everyone deals with it differently.

You see, judgment has made me be like the moon. Part of me is always hidden. Hiding away all my problems, and only showing my outrageous behavior influenced by the pain eating my heart away. But you see, people have this awful habit on judging what they don’t know about. They judge others by their behaviors, and themselves by their intentions.

The funny thing is, no one really knows the true story behind someone else’s pain. We could be standing next to someone who is broken and we are so utterly blinded that we would not even notice. But everyone can notice all the guys she flirts with and knows she’s not a virgin. But what everyone doesn’t know is that she was sexually assaulted in the past and her heart is broken. She seeks for male comfort and acceptance. But she hides the pain and tears behind a smile, a smile that’s only painted on when she goes out in public.

What a person shows to the world is only a facet of the iceberg hidden from the sight. And more often than not, it’s lined with cracks and dents that run all the way to the foundation of their soul. Me, I have made lots of mistakes. Do I regret them? Of course. But grieving about them doesn’t change the past and ruins the future. So you ask what I do? Simple, move on and create a positive future.

People judge me on my behavior from the past, but what they obliviously forget is that I don’t live there anymore. If they stopped judging and opened their eyes, maybe they would be able to see that. For people will always mock my pains because they have not endured it. Mistakes are mistakes, everyone is bound to make them, some however, have made significantly greater mistakes than others.

And I can guarantee you one thing, everyone who judges you and is besides themselves on what you have done, hide away skeletons in their closet. So in other words, those who judge,` their hands are never clean. Meanwhile they are judging others, their skeletons are falling out of their closet and their hands are caught with blood.