Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By mafoulk BRONZE, HARTLAND, Wisconsin
mafoulk BRONZE, HARTLAND, Wisconsin

When going into my sophomore year, I was thinking the same thing: boring classes, crowded hallways, and very annoying people. But within these crowded hallways stood a man, who looked no different than any other teacher, but at the same time there was something about him that just made him stand out. It was his loud voice saying, “Hi” to everyone.
Even though Mr.Stuber wasn’t a teacher at Arrowhead, he had a more important job:, he was one of the school’s Guidance Counselors. He had a job and he just loved, saying, “Hi, How is it going?” to each and every student. But he didn’t just ask out of instinct, he asked because he cared. He asked It in a way that shows he honestly does care.
Mr. Stuber was my Guidance Counselor for freshman and sophomore year and whenever he saw me, he always asked me the same question: “Hey, Mike! How’s it going?!” with so much energy I had to talk to him.
We’d discuss the most random things from his soccer team to football season, and sometimes just school - he always seemed to know I didn’t want to be there. But yet he kept on encouraging me to come to school, focus in class, and if I needed to talk to him.
When I needed somebody to talk to, Mr Stuber was there. Despite his busy agenda, he's always helping students with their problems, big or small.  He goes to the grade schools to help promote Arrowhead, and he also coaches our school's soccer team. But yet he has enough time to give kids advice that would put Dr. Phil to shame.
In my sophomore season of playing football, I suffered a severe back injury, to the point where my legs didn’t work; I was unable to move. I missed weeks of school for bedrest and doctor appointments and I knew it was going to be impossible to make up all the work. But Mr. Stuber helped me through it.
“Don’t give up, you can do it,” he would tell me.
Mr. Stuber helped make sure I understood what was going on with school and that I understood all the material.  He was always concerned with how I was doing, not just physically but mentally. When I was struggling, he was always there to sit down and talk with for hours.
Now Mr. Stuber doesn’t only do this for me, he has at least another 500 students he looks out for and to all of them he manages to also say,“Hi! How’s it going today?!” to all of them.That is why Mr. Stuber isn’t just teacher of the year, he is a great person.