The Game | Teen Ink

The Game

By Anthonydogg99 BRONZE, Addison, Maine
Anthonydogg99 BRONZE, Addison, Maine

It was the last game of the season, as we warmed up I could feel the adrenaline run through my veins. We were in the field first they were at bat. The first pitch was thrown “ball”. The second pitch was thrown ”ball” I hung my head this was already going to a slow start. As the third pitch was thrown I could tell it was a strike right down the middle ”BAM” it was, a fly ball to right field “my position”. I put my glove in the air running backwards to where the ball would land then there it was I could feel it hit my palm the first catch of the game was caught in my glove.  That’s one out I yelled to out to the team as the crowd screamed with joy. The ball game continued the next three pitches were all strikes, the pitcher yelled out two down boys two down. Again the first pitch for the next batter ball the second pitch strike but he hits it. This was a fly ball to left field far out of my zone, the catch was missed batter went all the way to third base. “Next batter” the Ump said a big guy came we knew him well from our previous games against this team. He was well known for his long balls to right field I knew it was my time to shine. The pitch was thrown straight down the pipe “Strike” the Ump yelled. The second pitch was thrown the ball was hit right where everyone thought it would be right my way. I was running as fast I could towards the ball glove out and ready and just incase my throwing arm ready as well. The ball was coming down fast I was running even faster then there it was almost right in front of me I knew I wasn’t going to be able to make so I did what I knew I needed to. I dove through the air, I finally had the ball in my glove. I crawled up to my feet and yelled that’s three boys and ran across the field to our dugout. I was the last up to bat so I knew I probably wouldn’t be hitting this inning. I watched three hits and three catches the inning was over already I couldn’t believe what I just witnessed. We were already on our way back out to the field for hopefully another good inning on defense. The first pitch was hit out in left field this time “far out of my reach”. The runner made it to second base. The next batter was up it was a perfect out for the pitcher all three pitches strikes not even swung on but the runner that was on second base stole third base. The next batter was up first pitch was a strike, the second pitch the batter hit, it was a ground ball to third base, the base runner was running home the third baseman snatched up the ball with his glove and threw out the runner.

“ That’s it boys three outs “ the third baseman said. We ran back into our dugout and I sat there and watched until it was my turn to hit. I was up there were two outs a man on second base and on third base so all I had to do was hit the ball and get on base. I grabbed my bat, walked up to home plate, took my stance and waited. The first pitch was thrown “SNAP” I could here the ball hit the glove.

“ Strike “ yelled the Ump. The second pitch was thrown it came by me and I swung and I missed. The catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher. He was winding up and again I could feel the blood flowing through my veins I was ready for this one. The ball was pitched I swung the bat “ Bam “ I felt the tension of the ball hitting the bat. The ball was flying through centerfield the guy playing that position couldn’t keep up with the ball there it was it started dropping the ball hit the ground and rolled to the fence so close but I drove two runners home and I got all the way to third base. Next batter was up, the pitch was thrown and hit but was caught at second base. We were back in the outfield once again, this time the coach asked me to play right field. The pitcher threw the ball it was a strike, right down the middle, but the Ump called it a ball and that’s when the crowd started booing. The crowd didn’t really ever get involved with the calls of the game but this one even a blind man would of known was a strike. This didn’t stop us though after everything calmed down the next pitch was thrown it was hit right in between centerfield and right field both my teammate and I were running towards the ball. I knew my teammate wasn’t going to make it to the ball in time and by the looks of things I wasn’t going to make it either. The ball was about 40 feet from the ground I was about 20 feet away. Its going to be a close one I thought to myself, the ball was now about 10 feet off the ground I knew I had to think fast my teammate was almost behind me I looked up to the ball it was coming fast I dropped down slid under the ball and popped back up. I did I caught the ball I held it up so the Ump could see I caught it the crowd started yelling to the top of their lungs, I could hear the car horns honking, I couldn’t even feel the big scratch that I made on my knee when I slid across a rock, all I could feel in the moment was joy and self accomplishment.

“That’s one out boys “ I yelled out to my teammates. 

I was inspired to write this story from a Baseball game that i played last year.