One Sunday Morning | Teen Ink

One Sunday Morning

By Josh Lohnes SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Josh Lohnes SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

It’s 2009, and the 12 year old version of myself is grudgingly stomping down a long flight of stairs to make it to Sunday school. My grandma chases me and alerts me to the new teacher. She tells me to have impeccable behavior for him.. I had planned to find some sleep I had lost the night before donating time on my Xbox, but any thought of sleeping vanished with that statement from my grandma. The new teacher who had robbed me of my sleep would eventually become a good friend and an even better teacher.

Matt List moved from Pennsylvania to Milwaukee to attend a school he thought would help him pursue his dreams, but for some reason he ended up teaching our small Sunday school group of six guys that couldn’t care less about what was going on at church. At first, I was uneasy about this new teacher who seemed to be too tough to be any shade of friendly, or at the least show any emotion at all. But as time went on, he showed why he was such a good friend. Even though I never cared to pay attention, he still strived to make a difference in my life and be a mentor however he could.

As a kid, I was never mature enough to talk or comment about the things going on around me, but Matt would still try to challenge me to grow out of my child-like foolishness I loved. He would take me to a dainty little George Webbs that was two blocks away from my house and would try to get to know me and try to lead me on in my walk of life. At the time, I never thought of how big of an impact his small acts of kindness would make on me, but I understand now.

Matt List was that one real person I could go to and chop it up about anything with. At the very least, we would chill and talk about rap or theology while taking light comedic jabs like we were Ali and Frazier in a friendly sparring session. The one thing I will always remember is how he tried to invest in me and push me to become the man God wanted me to be, and for that I am eternally grateful. An educator who invests in his pupils and strives to make an impact in their life can change lives, and that is exactly what Matt List did for me.