Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By m_kopecky5 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
m_kopecky5 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

I walked into class the first day of fifth grade more nervous than I’ve ever been before. I knew I was looping and would be stuck with the same classmates and teacher for two years. Immediately, a bright, bubbly, and beautiful woman sprung up from her desk and said, “Hello! I’m Mrs. Reuter!” At that moment all I could focus on was her long blonde hair and her amazing fashion sense (we even made a calendar with all of her different shoes as pictures). Her classroom was decorated with every color imaginable and there were fun class pets (hermit crabs and fish) in cages and tanks. From that moment on, I knew that fifth and sixth grade would be great.

Mrs. Reuter taught all of my classes except social studies, art, gym, and choir. I loved the way she taught. Everyday was a new adventure because she made each lesson different. For example, there were projects (like Egyptian night) where we could be creative and made decisions on the final product with a group. There were also single projects where decisions were made alone. Our class learned more than any other class about technology because Mrs. Reuter knows her way around it, like a pro football player knows his way around the field. She even ran a class after school to teach other teachers about technology.

One of my biggest struggles going through these two years in Mrs. Reuter’s class was math. Math was my worst nightmare and I barely passed my math boxes and tests. I remember the day I studied as much as possible for a test and thought that I would do well, but ended up getting a D. Crowds of my peers formed around me and they laughed as I cried. Without hesitation, Mrs. Reuter jumped in and roared over the obnoxious laughs and giggles. The commotion was followed by a class lecture when she said something that I will never forget: “Maddie has worked the hardest to improve out of everyone in this class, and for doing so, she deserves an A”. After that day she turned into my second mom, I could go to her for anything.

But I was still being bullied...the bully was a monster disguised by fakeness. The bully was my friend until she began to do things wrong on purpose and then blame them on me. In science class, she did the lab wrong and then told everyone it was me, with hopes I would receive a bad grade. But Mrs. Reuter didn’t believe her. Unfortunately, my classmates did and most of them took the bully’s side. During this tough time, Mrs. Reuter allowed me to stay inside for recess when no one else was. She understood me and helped me get through this. And that brought Mrs. Reuter and I even closer.

Without her in my life, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. Mrs. Reuter changed my world for the better in every way. She didn’t have to help me as a busy mother and wife, but she did anyways. So thank you, Mrs. Reuter, for brightening my day and believing in me from the start. I wouldn’t have been able to get through those years without you.