Our Rights - Are the really right? | Teen Ink

Our Rights - Are the really right?

In America we have to freedom to do just about whatever we want. We can choose our career, our home -- we can even choose our husband or wife if we want to (You know, in some countries you can’t do that)! We are also guaranteed our safety, and we have many, many people working hard and risking their lives so that we can lie at home in our beds without fear that we will be hurt, blown up, or kidnapped in our sleep, because seriously, there are people who would do that. Our government does a great deal to protect us, and it is my opinion that, even if it takes giving up some of our rights, they should continue to do so. Basically, the government should be allowed to infringe on our rights as long as it is in our best interest.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I would do just about anything to continue to feel safe and not afraid of everyday. In America we are so blessed to be able to feel this way, because trust me some other countries are not as lucky. In some places in Israel, for example, everybody must learn how to check every single person they encounter, whether they are on a bus, in a coffee shop, or at the movies, to see if they look “shifty” of if they have a very large jacket that might be covering something. They live in constant, nagging fear that their mother, their best friend, their brother, someone they know might be the next unfortunate victim of a suicide bomb. Aren’t we lucky that we can walk down the street without having to do that? I think so, and I am willing to give up a lot so that we can keep it that way.

Also, if the government is going to take away things like the privacy of cell phone calls or internet site history, honestly, who cares? If you aren’t talking about blowing things up, you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. I am positive that whoever is screening your cell phone call does not care that your best friend forever just kissed your other best friend forever’s ex-boyfriend’s brother. As far as the internet goes, someone finding out you checked out sites that might not be so appropriate might be embarrassing, but hey, at least you know that people are doing their job to protect you. I am sure that we can find it in us to sacrifice this right for our own safety and peace of mind.

SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
Remember that everything the totalitarian, authoritarian governments did was in the name of the betterment of their citizens. Be careful what you wish for...

SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
The reason we have these rights is to keep our government at bay. The Second Amendment, for example gives us the right to keep and bear arms, especially against a hostile government... Whether foreign or domestic!

on Apr. 27 2016 at 7:37 am
gquackenboss BRONZE, North Hanover, New Jersey
Well written, and you have a very good point, but I don't agree. I feel that the government already does have some authority of what we see on the internet, and they do monitor things like that. Overall, well written and you do make a good point, but I disagree with your stance.

ethangibson4 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine" -John Galt

Good point. Also keep in mind everytime the government does something it for the "public interest." It is not the duty of government to rpovide anything. Not even school. Governemnt is supose to protect us from foreign invaders and domestic criminals that is all!

TheSihlouettedMan BRONZE, Hinckley, Ohio

"There is something more to the knowledge that allows us to see. Some rely on logic to be their eyes. Others believe they know what logic is. But to be completely faithful in logic, you must someday realize that it points to the incomprehensible."

You know, it's thinking like this that absolutely terrifies me. For one, the government's at the very top, no one controls them but them themselves. It honestly disgusts me that someone could even feel comfortable with this. Keep in mind that there is absolutely no one who manages them. So, with that in mind, I'm going to ask you, can you really trust them to do what's right for you? Think about it; no one's keeping them in check, and they are human beings like us, just as capable of seeking power, and for all the wrong reasons, but no one is watching them. So I will ask you again, can you trust them?

palinpower08 said...
To EscapeTheFate: I agree, we shouldn't have to give up our rights to be safe. However is it was either privacy or security, I'd go with security. Kudos to our government for keeping us safe.

It is true that our country keeps us safe and we do have a lot of rights. The only thing is why would be have to give up a few of our rights to be safe? Our rights financially should not be given up. There's no reason for that. Money does not effect our safety. Only a few jobs across America would have to be given up in order to ensure our safety if they are an across the world company, dealing with other countries. All I'm saying is that most of our rights are necessary and don't effect our rights. We shouldn't give up something that we should have.