High in the Rockies | Teen Ink

High in the Rockies

By Nicholas Eichelberger BRONZE, Geneva, Nebraska
Nicholas Eichelberger BRONZE, Geneva, Nebraska

The words “Boy Scouts” may bring to mind tying knots, camping, and merit badges.  While in Boy Scouts, half of my time was spent working on merit badges.   A total of at least twenty-one merit badges are required of any to be Eagle Scout, so it makes these little emblematic bits of sewn thread pretty important.  When I first started the process, I went to merit badge universities, summer camps, and merit badge counselors for help in adding to my growing collection.  The badge I remember with the most clarity and enjoyed the most was the rock-climbing badge.
My troop had the opportunity to travel to Colorado for summer camp.  While there, my fellow scouts and I took advantage of the circumstances that were not presented to us back in Nebraska, elevation.  When it came time to rock climb, I was extremely excited.  The classes for the merit badge took place in the afternoon right after lunch.  Some boys from my troop and I walked about one mile up to the rock-climbing area.  Hot rays of sunlight hit the top of my head, glistening off beads of sweat collected on the back of my neck, and warming my red t-shirt to an uncomfortable level.  Gravel crunched under our boots rhythmically as we marched up the ascending path.  As we neared the climbing area, I spotted five instructors standing in front of a small wooden shed with tarnished tan paint.  Handing out scuffed up helmets and nylon harnesses, the instructors prepared the crowd of eager boy scouts.  The instructors wisely introduced us to climbing techniques like repelling and belaying.  Their careful hands modeled how the equipment worked.  I took it all in, processing every new word with anticipation as it hit my ear.  Finally, it was time to put our new knowledge to use and start the climb.
The group hastily shuffled to the climbing area a couple hundred meters away.  There was a vibe of excitement radiating from the group.  I heard challenges being made and boys trying to choose climbing partners as the group trudged on through the forest.  Soon the ominous rock formation came into view, overpowering the landscape around it and encompassing the unworthy ground below in the shadows. Each step toward the beast brought added enthusiasm.  Soon we reached the base, and I could identify little bits of colorful minerals in the dark grey granite.  The instructors informed us that is was time to don our climbing gear.  I heard the zip of people tightening their harnesses and the clink of metal on metal as we clipped out carabineers on the ropes to our harnesses. 
I asked my belay man, “On belay?” 
When he was ready to ensure I wouldn’t fall, he answered, “Belay on.” 
Now ready to climb I asked him, “Climbing?” 
He answered, “Climb on.”
I reached out and grasped the stone, warmed from baking in the sun’s radiation.  I reached up and found a solid hold, and I swung my leg up and hoisted myself toward the top.  I repeated this over and over with sweat sliding down my face.  My breath soon became quick and heavy.  My heart pounded in my ears. I looked down and felt my stomach become weightless.  With each stride, my muscles ached more and more.  Finally I felt my hand reach the crest of the formation.  The end was within grasp.  I reached up with my other hand and with one final pull I was on top of world.  I got my bearings, stood up, and began turning around and around taking in the gorgeous scenery.  Grays, blues, greens, and purples flashed past my eyes as I spun around.  The distant mountains seemed to be disappearing as the clouds rolled over them and large birds of prey roamed the skies.  I looked down and saw the tiny people who were only specks of color.  A torrent of dry, cool air rushed over me, cooling my sweat-soaked skin.  I looked up and euphoria set in. 
This moment was ever so fleeting.  I was instructed to make my descent back to the earth below.   I reluctantly slid my body over the edge and was hoisted down with the help of my belay man.  I looked out one last time.  The distant mountains started sinking into the trees and soon all I could see were the deep dark green and brown of the evergreens.  My feet below me found their place on the ground again, but I still longed to have that mountain top experience, gazing down on the world like a god.