The Right to Say I Do | Teen Ink

The Right to Say I Do

By jessiebess0410 BRONZE, Ramsey, New Jersey
jessiebess0410 BRONZE, Ramsey, New Jersey

Today, 14 out of 194 countries fully allow same-sex marriage. These countries include Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Spain, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Argentina, Iceland, Portugal, Denmark, Urugay, New Zealand and France. In the United States 15 out of the 50 states allow same-sex marriage. 29 out of 50 states do not allow same-sex marriage and only 6 out of 50 allow same-sex couples to join under a civil union. Even though 70% of the states do not allow same-sex marriage, 99.3% of all US counties have same gender couples living together and 96% of them are raising children.

Same-sex couples should be able to marry in the state or country they live, without anyone taking that right away from them. Friends and family members of mine are gay and even if they live with their partner or are in a serious relationship, most of them can not marry in the state they live in. People say to them that they can just go to another state, where same-sex marriage is legal to be married but they don’t want to do that. Even if they did get married in one of the 15 states, where same-sex marriage is legal, they will not be considered married once they go back to their state or town. Marriage offers 1,138 Federal benefits and responsibilities, not including hundreds of benefits offered by their state. Unlike civil unions it provides a social status and emotional benefits. For instance, studies claim that banning gay marriage increases rates of psychological disorders due to the lack of the physical and psychological health benefits that are not accessible.

Marriage, as a cultural institution, has a unique legal status recognized by governments all over the world. With it comes a host of rights and protections; protections no other status can provide. Some of the 1,138 Federal benefits marriage provides you with are; Social Security benefits upon death, disability or retirement of spouse, as well as benefits for minor children, access to COBRA insurance benefits so the family doesn't lose health insurance when one spouse is laid off, exemptions from penalties on IRA and pension rollovers, exemptions from estate taxes when a spouse dies, exemptions from federal income taxes on spouse's health insurance and the right to visit a sick or injured loved one and have a say in life and death matters during hospitalization.
Same-sex couples who have been joined under a Civil Union will not be provided with any of the protections or responsibilities Federal law provides to married couples. A civil union is a legal status granted by a state. The State of Vermont created gay civil unions in 2000. It provides legal protection to gay couples at the state law level, but omits federal protections, as well as the dignity, clarity, security and power of the word "marriage". Civil unions are different from civil marriages, and that difference has wide-ranging implications that make the two institutions unequal, such as: portability, federal benefits, taxes and public benefits for the family, second class status and the ending of a civil union.

Telling someone they can’t marry the person they want to be with for the rest of their life just because they are the same sex is like saying to someone they can’t marry the person they want to spend the rest of their life with because they are not the same race or religion or in the same political party. Allowing same sex marriage does not hurt or affect heterosexual couples in any way. By legalizing gay marriage, no harm will come to the "family values" of heterosexual couples and society will continue to function successfully. However by banning same sex marriage, you are telling the world it is okay to discriminate against gay people. People say that marriage is the act of uniting people through their same religion or spiritual views, but people with different religions, backgrounds, race and way of life are married almost every day. If people with different religions, backgrounds, and race can marry, why can’t same-sex couples marry?

Throughout the world there is an estimated amount of 153 million orphans and children in foster care. Most adoption agencies aren't known for accepting same-sex couples as parents, especially when most can’t even marry. There are certain agencies, like the Independent Adoption Center, that accept same-sex couples and mainly focus on giving them a chance to have a family. Having gay marriage equality in every state and in every country around the world will give many same-sex couples the chance to adopt  and help kids and teens that don’t have a home or parents. People get married to be with the one they love and to be able to start a family.
Most people who are against same-sex marriage say it is not right because they don’t reproduce the traditional way and if they adopt, it can damage the Child's mind set or that the child could be bullied because their parents aren't the traditional heterosexual couple. The only reason they would be bullied in the first place is by not allowing same-sex couples to be married,therefore sending the message that it’s not “normal” to have parents of the same sex.

If the reason most people are against same-sex a couples being able to marry is because they cannot reproduce the traditional way, then they are being hypocritical. Men and woman who are infertile and can not produce a baby are allowed to marry without having to fight for their rights. They can adopt with no problem and the children that they adopt aren't looked at differently because their parents weren't able to reproduce.
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation states that many same-sex couples want the right to legally marry [and] honor their relationship in the greatest way our society has to offer. It is not fair that so many people around the world are not able to hold the hand of the person they love and say the words “I do” while surrounded by their friends and family. Imagine not being able to say those words to the one you love. Everyone is raised differently and everyone isn't the same, but that doesn't mean their right to say “I do” should be taken away. Same-sex couples should be allowed to publicly celebrate their commitment in the same way as heterosexual couples.