The Star Spangled Lie | Teen Ink

The Star Spangled Lie

By Jackson1997 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jackson1997 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"No" -Rosa Parks

A 23 year old man from Mexico steps onto American soil for the first time as a true citizen. The year is 1920, the economy is booming, and the world is at peace. He has the potential to be anyone he wants and to make a life for himself. America is the desired land of opportunity.

The year is 2014 and a 23 year old Mexican man gets his first real experience as an American. Growing up, he heard stories of America, but since he was born in Mexico City, he never got the chance to live it. He gets a job working as a landscaper. He gets paid below minimum wage. He is constantly treated unequally, being branded as a beaner, wetback, spic, and other embarrassing racial slurs. America was the land of opportunity.

Yes we are free. And we have diversity. There is no doubt about our military presence. But we are not living in the 20th century anymore. More than half the world is free and the technology today creates greater diversity. America is not the greatest country anymore.

America is a place of opportunity. It’s the land of the free and the home of the brave. It’s a shining star in a black abyss. All morals that our country was founded on, ironically, clouded by our patriotism we avoid the most resolute fact..America is not the country envisioned by our prominent founding fathers.

Truth is I’m not proud to be an American.

wheatgerm said...
on Nov. 13 2014 at 1:10 pm
'MERICA!!!!! sorry u didnt get any other comments but I have to disagree with you. The reason that man dosent make minimum wage is because he isnt a leagal emmigrant. If he actually got a green card like he was supposed to instead of just jumping the border then he would be treated just as any other American.