Science Taken Too Far | Teen Ink

Science Taken Too Far

By ajs1414 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
ajs1414 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

Scientists do not have to right to perform a surgery to artificially increase a person’s intelligence. On paper it may seem like a great idea but we have to realize the consequences of such a procedure before we make the commitment of making it available. Intelligence may be somewhat be luck of the draw but people have to work hard to fully develop their minds and reach their academic potential. If all a person had to do was go into surgery and come out with the mind of someone who worked for years there would be no work ethic. Our society already looks for the easy way out of things; if this procedure were readily available almost everyone would choose it over working hard.

All people having equal intelligences would be complete chaos. The only thing that differentiates us from others when getting a job is our intelligence. There would be no way to fairly decide who gets a job or who doesn’t. Who is to say who gets a job or doesn’t when everyone is equally qualified? Who is to decide what salary one person gets over another when they have the same IQ? People would not have to earn jobs, it would be decided by appearance or connections if not than by the luck of the draw. This is not the society I would want to live in.
Many people already are lacking motivation and this surgery would just be rubbing salt in the wound. Motivation is something that pushes you to work hard in hopes of getting a leg up on something or someone. With everyone not being required to have motivation, motivation would become a thing of the past. Not being able to work to achieve something would not only cause motivation to disappear but also drive some people to insanity.

In this day and age competition is the center of our society. Everyone becoming equal all of a sudden may be a blessing for some people but for others not being able to win would be like being stuck in quick sand to them. This feeling is something even the strongest people can only bear for so long. It would be inevitable that these people would crack. It would not only be extremely painful for the people going mentally insane but also for their family and friends. Watching someone you love loose it is almost as bad as being the person loosing. This pain and suffering could all be avoided if this procedure never became available.

Our world is functioning fine as is and although this procedure may seem like a small thing its impact on everyday life would be huge. Our society may seem strong on the outside but is some places it is fragile. One of these places is intelligence; brainpower is a part of our everyday life. We have grown accustom to our own intelligences and others. This surgery would shake everything up and the intricate web that is our society would crash. It is a likely possibility that we would not be able to bounce back after this large of an upset. Our whole world as we know it would go spinning out of control. You may be thinking this is only one of the possibilities of how this could turn out. Even though it may not turn out this way exactly I feel it would end somewhere in this vicinity. Allowing scientists to perform this procedure is a risk we cannot afford to take.

Mikey123 said...
It might restructure society, but you can't simply theorize one outcome and dismiss the procedure altogether. Also, where did this idea come from? It's a good article, I'm just curious.