The Magical Blue Sea | Teen Ink

The Magical Blue Sea

By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California

Splash. The waves crash against the rocks as a gust of wind blows. I jingle my ice, cold lemonade, and breath in the salty scent. Here I was on a beautiful beach in Hawaii. I had been trying to see a whale, but so far had no luck. It doesn’t matter though; the sea itself is an extraordinary sight. I glance at my watch, three minutes until sunset. Above me, seagulls roam free, as they find food. The sea awaits before me. Bright, beautiful… and dangerous. The sea is an interesting thing. It’s beautiful and beckoning but also deathly dangerous. The bright blue ocean lays before me, washing upon the shore, the foamy waves covering the creamy sand. I watch the man down near the shore painting the scene, the wide brushes creating something amazing. The sea has always been an inspiration to humans, probably because we know the least about it. I think of all the artists out there who are inspired by the sea. I close my eyes and allow my mind to wander. The smell of salt water hangs in the air along with the sweet scent of the ocean. Far in the distance, a surfer struggles against the waves. I lean against a rock and watch the sunset settle over the ocean. The pinkish, orangish, sight before me is amazing. It looks from a distance like the entire sky is exploding into flames. A picture really is worth a thousand words. The ocean glows in the early evening, casting a mysterious shadow on the blue-green water. The sand blows through an inspiration the air uncovering some seashells. I breathe in the scent of the sea and think of what the sea really is. I think of what is out there, what is yet to be uncovered. Although the sea is probably the thing we know the least about, it is also the most magical. If something on this earth is magic, it would have to be water. It flows through the earth spreading it’s magic everywhere. I sip my chilled drink, and think about what I have done this week. The wonderful colors of the fish when I was snorkeling. The way they were right there, so close you could reach out and touch them. I set my drink down and make my way down the jagged rocks to the shore. The surfer finally gets upright and I smile as he carefully glides on the water, then topples over again, crashing into the water. The sea is dangerous, we can’t win against it. But then again, the most dangerous things are always the most beautiful. I zip up my jacket as a chilly breeze washes over me. I watch the surfer swim to shore and collapse on the glossy sand. I stare at a black spot in the water. I thought I saw something moving. The shape comes closer to shore, and I stare intently out into the distance. I blink, and suddenly there it is before me, a huge humpback whale. It breaches the water and flips over, making a loud noise. I smile; I finally got to see a whale. The sea really is extraordinary. Dream, believe, inspire…..