My Broken Dreams | Teen Ink

My Broken Dreams

By soccergirl75 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
soccergirl75 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Everything will be okay in the end, if it's not okay, it's not the end

I was twelve. It was the beginning of seventh grade, which meant the beginning of soccer season. It was the second game of the season and we were in Dover that day. We were fifteen minutes into the game and it was tied 0-0. I had a break away and was just outside the eighteen box. Some girl ran up to me so I turned away to shield the ball; she shoved me forward and I fell.

I screamed and cried, I saw my bone where it was not supposed to be. My dad ran over and finally helped me up as someone called 911. About ten minutes later an ambulance showed up and my dad and I went to the hospital. On the way there the lady was trying to calm me down but I was freaking out. She asked me to wiggle my fingers but i could not. We finally arrived at the hospital and my mom and siblings met us there. I was so scared I thought I was dying. It took about thirty minutes to get me to see a doctor to get my bone set.

I finally got home that night at around eight. I had my best friend come over and everyone signed my cast. Probably not the smartest idea but I went to school the next day. I had to tell my school coach that I could not play until it was off, we were both so upset. I ended up not going to school the next two days because it hurt so bad.

At the end of the week I had to go back to Dover to get it checked. Turns out it moved out of place and I had to get surgery to get a pin put in. I was so scared but my dad stayed with me the whole time and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once I woke up from surgery I was still in so much pain, it took about a week for the pain to go away. It was difficult because it was my right wrist so I had to do everything with my left hand, including writing.

Everyone was very helpful, I got extra time with certain classwork and quizes since it was harder to write, my teachers wrote some notes for me and lots of people wanted to help carry my books. But it was not a good time for me since I could not play soccer for either my travel team or my school team. Even though I was scared to start soccer again, I overcame my fear and played in the spring. My whole family was supportive of my choice though they were also scared for me.