Punta Cana | Teen Ink

Punta Cana

By Ghoey2020 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Ghoey2020 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

It was the end of July and I was getting ready to take a trip to Dominican Republic. I know that Dominican Republic is a very beautiful island but there also is a lot of poverty over there. All I could think about was seeing hungry people who were less fortunate than me begging for money.

When I arrived to Punta Cana the resort part of Dominican Republic I saw many Americans because this was tourist area. As I was going through customs to get my passport stamped I notice technology was not affordable over here. It took a long time to get through because they still used a pencil and a notebook to keep track of many things. The people thought I was Dominican and tried to speak to me in Spanish. I had no clue what they were saying.

I saw that the climate was most of the time was very humid. It wasn’t rare to see that many people here wore short sleeve shirts, shorts and flip flops every day. I notice most of the roads were just dirt and there were no sidewalks. You were basically at your own risk by putting trust in a driver from not running you over. It also seems to be pretty normal to see little kids run out randomly in the middle of the road while vehicles were traveling at great speeds.

The beach at Punta Cana was very clear and had white sand. I rode on the jet skis in the ocean but I was a little nervous because I saw a lot of sea creatures under me. There were many people from the island I saw who tried to sell me many things because they were very poor. These items were clothing, jewelry, food, and souvenirs. It made me think how bless I am and how everyone is not fortunate like I am.

I wouldn’t never regret going on this vocation to Dominican Republic. I enjoyed seeing new cultures and how people live totally different than where I come from. This vacation showed me that not every country in the world has it made like America even though we take advantage of some things that people in Punta Cana would value a lot.