Feedback on "But He's Not White" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "But He's Not White"

By partulla-magenta SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
partulla-magenta SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Nah."

The article, "But He's Not White", by Caitlin Baratti shows a white narrator in a white family, but he has a black brother. They've never given it a second thought, but suddenly people have been asking whether their brother was adopted or not. The narrator starts to think about how this is affecting their relationship with their brother, but in the end they don't mind. This piece is excellent and clearly shows how situations like this shouldn't matter in a familial sibling relationship. It's important to know this when you know your family adopted a child of a different race.
     Overall, this piece efficiently shows the way people can be so ignorant. The author gives examples of how people would react to their "strange" family. Then they show how the narrator personally does not care about the opinions and continues to be best friends with their family. "But a few years ago I stopped explaining. It matters to them, but not to me. He is my brother. The circumstances of how that came to be are not relevant." This quote that ends the piece leaves you off with satisfaction, knowing that the narrator truly does not care about their family.